DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Airaid Modular intake tube? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58561)

BigOrange 08-03-2010 09:12 PM

Airaid Modular intake tube?

Anybody have the Airaid M.I.T. installed with their factory airbox & hi-flow filter? I'm wondering what the sound is like, or if most of the "throaty" sound comes from having a cone filter setup.

jmr 08-06-2010 06:18 PM

I have a 2008 RAM 1500 RCSB 4x4 with the MIT tube along with my stock airbox and drop in K&N filter element. During WOT It's much thoatier above 3000 RPM. I've noticed a slight MPG increase and .1 seconds decrease in my 0-60 runs.

The revised 4.7 sounds thoaty anyway above 3K RPM but the MIT enhances it
but it's quieter than the K&N CAI that roars above 3K. I got sick of the K&N CAI and went back to the MIT instead.

BigOrange 08-06-2010 07:03 PM

That sounds like the setup I want to go for, I can always add a cone filter setup later. I'm just wanting to get rid of the resonator hat. Did you have to buy a coupler for the throttle body when you installed the M.I.T.? I see that Airaid doesn't have the M.I.T. listed for the 2008 4.7L, but as far as I can tell it's the same as the 2007 part.

deathwish711 09-04-2010 11:50 AM

I know this is an old thread butt its the only one that is talking about what i am thinking about doing. Currently i have replaced the factory muffler with a flowemaster original 40 series and replaced the factory air filter with a k&n drop in . What i am looking to do is remove the flex pipe and hat and connect a new tube to the air box and throttle body . Has anyone got pics of this setup and what type of pipeing did you use . Also what did you do with the hose coming from the passenger side valve cover and the iat sensor? The reason i am looking to do this is money is a little sparse right now and i can't afford to drop 300 or so bucks on a k&n intake like i had on my old truck . Also i want to make sure it doesn't void the warrenty or causes me not to pass inspection .

Thanks for the input everyone and sorry if this was posted and talked about and i missed it . Jason

4pnt7 09-04-2010 01:02 PM

I have a friend that used that Mit setup. Then he replaced it with a 4" piece of pvc pipe same size of the mit tube and says its quieter.

deathwish711 09-04-2010 02:32 PM

Yea i'm thinking of going to lowes and checking into some schedule 40 pvc conduit. Its thicker walled and should provide good flow. Won't be hard to paint either. 2 things i noticed about the 2010 4.7 is the tube coming from the valve cover goes into the stock box so i don't have to worry with it.
The other thing is they located the iat sensor right on the end of the factory hose next to the air box so i won't have to add more wire to relocate it.

BigOrange 09-04-2010 02:34 PM

I used airaid part # 300-925-1. If you look it up at Airaid.com they have an installed image on the page. All you'll have to do is buy a silicone coupler to secure the tube to the throttle body on '08+ rams. I bought a $7.99 Spectre 3" coupler from Autozone.

I got my MIT on Ebay for about $97.00 shipped UPS Ground from Northern Autoparts. I think that auction is still up there. Just do a search for "dodge ram airaid intake" and you'll find it. The tube is $83.00 + $14.00 shipping, and that's the lowest price I found on it. All the others that I saw online were starting out at $109.00 + shipping.

deathwish711 09-04-2010 02:46 PM

Thanks bigorange for the info. I will check into that if I don't like what I see as far as making a tube.

BigOrange 09-04-2010 02:49 PM

No Problem, and good luck!

flipster 09-04-2010 03:15 PM

Here is a pic of it installed...

http://www.airaid.com/images/Product...-Installed.jpg

Cost on Airaid site is $129.00 but on Amazon.com it is $99.