DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   I'm getting 9 mpg???? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58592)

alittlepage24 08-04-2010 01:21 PM

I'm getting 9 mpg????

Isn't this a little ridiculous? The truck is about 2 months old or so and I never got great gas mileage, usually about 12. Lately I've had terrible gas mileage and I don't drive the truck too crazy at all.

RootBeer 08-04-2010 01:26 PM

Something's not right with that. I get 15. You say you don't drive it crazy. Do you accelerate slowly or are you the first person off the line at the light?

Do you leave it idling for long periods?

Are you judging your mpg by the reading on the EVIC or calculating it yourself when you fill up?

What speed are you driving on the hiway?

alittlepage24 08-04-2010 01:30 PM

I don't accelerate quickly, but i do leave it idling sometimes, didn't think about that. I live in a city so I don't drive on the highway too much.

RootBeer 08-04-2010 01:33 PM

Also, the mpg on the EVIC is your overall average. Only real way to know is to reset the trip odometer at fill up, then next time you fill it up look at the trip odometer and divide that number by the amount of gas you just put in the truck.

carrayz 08-04-2010 01:35 PM

in the winter i leave mine running to worm up gos from 13 14 to10 11 that might be it

Ramathorne 08-04-2010 04:30 PM

On average I get 22mpg
I can get as low as 18 and as high as 26
550-750km/tank
Just depends on how you drive!
I honestly am usually on the lower end of that scale!
ITS A HEMI!
Gotta play some!

alittlepage24 08-04-2010 04:37 PM

I guess I should stop burning gas getting some in the truck hahahahaha

RansRAM 08-04-2010 04:38 PM

The mileage going around city streets with lots of lights is not that great however I am still in the 13-14mpg range. On the highway however is a different story. I have seen an average of 20MPG on a 250 mile run (and that was with hand calculations). Overall 9mpg does seem a bit low for the new RAMs. Do the hand calculation as Root Beer has suggested and if you feel there is still a problem take it back to the dealer to check.

Valkrider 08-04-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlepage24 (Post 275965)
I guess I should stop burning gas getting some in the truck hahahahaha

Howdy alittlepage, I've only had my new Dodge for just little over a day, but have been playing around with all the features and taking special note on the average gas mileage and real time meter.

One thing I have noticed while driving in the city with lights and high idle time, you will kill your average. I drove about 24 miles the yesterday (one way), all of them urban streets. I reset the average gas mileage before the start, and couldn't get the truck up above 10mpg. There was a lot of stop and go's (I think I got caught at every light), but I wasn't accelerating hard and never got it above 45mph.

On the way home, without resetting the average and taking the highway home (speed between 60 and 70mph), my average went from 10mpg to over 15mpg. There is no doubt that getting this beast up to speed (something reasonable) and keeping her there is going to keep your average mpg in the end of what you are probably expecting.

On a side note, after leaving work this morning I took the truck out on the highway (I reset the average for this test) and put about 60 miles on her, speeds averaging 65mph (rough guess). I was surprised that the mileage average was 17.8. I do have the 3.55 gears in my 4x4 truck, and the rating is for 18mph highway driving as most of you know.

The bottom line is there are so many factors that will effect your average mileage, from how and where you drive, tire pressures, ambient temperature, and even down to which way the wind is blowing.

alittlepage24 08-04-2010 05:57 PM

Yea I really want some different gears