DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Military (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   My son's deployment (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58647)

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-05-2010 01:10 PM

My son's deployment

Wednesday night , my son , Tommy left for Iraq . The plane was suppose to go from Pax River to Dover Air Force base first to top off with fuel for the trip over the Atlantic , then to Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany for more fuel then to Iraq . My wife , Sue , my dad and myself drove down to Pax River for his departure . His plane was suppose to leave at 11:15pm , but as things normally go , it didn't . We stood outside the hanger till 12:15am waiting for it to leave . After seeing the 3rd or 4th tanker come out to fuel it up , we decided we weren't gonna wait any longer . It would of been another 45 minutes waiting and knowing we had a hour and 45 minute drive home we just decided to go ahead and leave . I got home at 3;00am this morning after dropping my dad off . This morning when I got up , I decided I would try and call his phone , well to my surprise he answered . He said he was in Canada (Newfoundland) . He said the Air Force jet (C-17) he is on lost an engine and had to land on three engines . They were on their way to a hotel and had no idea how long they were gonna be there . I believe he said they were gonna be waiting on the part to fix it . He will call me back . So thats where it stands as of now .

iRESQu 08-05-2010 01:16 PM

WOW Tom. Thank you for the update! Sounds much like the military I know, "hurry up and wait"! I will put your son to my prayer list, as well as the rest of your family. If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate.

RootBeer 08-05-2010 01:27 PM

Wow Tom, that's a heck of a start to a deployment. I hope he gets the opportunity to see some of Newfoundland while he's there.

SRTAndy 08-05-2010 01:53 PM

I've been there before! I hope he has a safe trip over there. I also hope he gets to relax for a few days while they fix the plane!

wermbang 08-05-2010 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update Tom, he is in my prayers as well.

We just had a huge deployment here from Iowa, over 2500. This is the most deployed at one time since WWII. There was alot of ceremonies all over the state. Had a couple friends leave too.

carrayz 08-05-2010 03:56 PM

ya sounds about right.your son is great man for supporting this county.prayers for him and all who serve with him..

HerRam 08-05-2010 04:18 PM

I imagine the anticipation of getting to his ultimate destination is getting to him. I hope he has a chance to relax a bit before he needs to get shipped out.
Your family is in our thoughts and prayers...how long is he there? or was there no set time?

Adam052 08-05-2010 05:02 PM

Your son and your family are in my prayers. I'm in the military myself and know what that is like. I got back in November from Afghanistan. Hope he has a great time in Newfoundland, which is where I'm from originally.

STAY SAFE!!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-05-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerRam (Post 276740)
I imagine the anticipation of getting to his ultimate destination is getting to him. I hope he has a chance to relax a bit before he needs to get shipped out.
Your family is in our thoughts and prayers...how long is he there? or was there no set time?

Not really sure . It's a contract that the Navy is getting involved in . Could be three to eighteen months .

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-05-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam052 (Post 276757)
Your son and your family are in my prayers. I'm in the military myself and know what that is like. I got back in November from Afghanistan. Hope he has a great time in Newfoundland, which is where I'm from originally.

STAY SAFE!!

He is in St. John's Newfoundland , Canada .