DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Calalytic Converter Woes (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58745)

vsanks 08-06-2010 09:04 PM

Calalytic Converter Woes

Well…the catalytic converter on my ’96 Ram’s gone bad at 75K. It’s rattling. Time to get a new one…and I know nothing about what I’m about to do.
I see that Magnaflows are popular on the forum. Can I go to a muffler shop and ‘assume’ they’ll put the right Magnaflow converter on…and does that make a difference…or are aftermarket converters universal? Is there any chance my check engine will flash after installation of the new converter? And lastly, does a new converter include new ‘ports for the o2 sensor? Thanks for any help!
vsanks

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-07-2010 12:33 AM

The muffler shop will beable to hook ya up . If you were to take it to the dealer it would entail replacing the Y-Pipe . Quite expensive .

TenneSST 08-07-2010 12:45 AM

I ordered my Magnaflow Y pipe and converter kit from Summit Racing. It has bungs for both oxygen sensors. It was a fairly simple installation. Your check engine light will not come on because of the Magnaflow converter.

erm 08-07-2010 12:45 AM

Your local shop can hook you up. And a good catalytic converter doesn't have to be a Magnaflow. Most shops carry Walker or TRW cats which will work just fine.

All cats come with what you need to keep from getting a code as they have provisions for O2 sensors.

vsanks 08-07-2010 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll be headed to the muffler shop on Monday.

beermanjoe 08-07-2010 11:18 PM

Probably just the heat shield rattling. That`s what it was on an old Ford truck I had.

drivehard27 08-07-2010 11:29 PM

ya are you sure it is done for most times you dont need to replace them till there just about pluged my buddy has 160,000 miles on his and he had the same noise and it was the heat sheild if you are not throughing any codes it might not be your cat at all have them check it out first before they do anywork or sell you something you might not need

vsanks 08-08-2010 09:33 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've tried and can't seem to make the heat shield rattle. I did put a mechanic's stethoscope to the converter. When you do, the rattle seems to be inside. I'll get it checked first, though!

RamTech 08-08-2010 11:30 AM

You don't need a steth, just a rubber hammer. Give the converter a couple of shots and if you hear a rattle, the catylist inside is shot.

drivehard27 08-08-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 278423)
You don't need a steth, just a rubber hammer. Give the converter a couple of shots and if you hear a rattle, the catylist inside is shot.

and this works also