DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Warranty Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Prove It! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58999)

RamTech 08-11-2010 09:40 AM

Prove It!

Lately there's been a lot of debate on what mods will and won't void your warranty. The phrase "the dealer has to prove it caused a problem" has been thrown around quite a bit and I have a couple of thoughts on that.

First and foremost is that it is a lot easier for a dealer to prove a mod (such as a CAI) caused an internal engine problem than it is for a customer to prove that it didn't. Example: we disassemble a worn out engine that's got a CAI installed with low compression on a couple of cylinders. If we find the walls on those cylinders are scratches, it's possible that we could void the warranty based on that, especially if the filter appears dirty. How would you go about proving that the CAI didn't cause this problem?

Now, with that being said, I'll say this - the relationship you have with your dealers service department comes into play in a situation like this. A customer that comes in for regular services in addition to any warranty work will stand a much better chance of getting that problem covered under warranty than the one that only comes in for the $17.95 oil change special or warranty work. Paris is a great example of a customer that keeps a good working relationship with her local service department.

What gets covered and what doesn't can even come down to the technician that is working on your pride and joy. I've worked with guys that will try to void a warranty for anything they can. I typically try to overlook most mods if I'm not 100% sure it caused a problem.

My best advice is to check with the service department you use if there are any questions about a mod you want to do. Some mods are best left alone until the warranty expires unless you con't care about the warranty.

One more thing to keep in mind is that a mod that voids one aspect of your warranty will NOT void the entire warranty. Let's say you put a tuner on your engine. While it can void your powertrain, it's not going to void the warranty on something like your electrical or body. Even with w tuner on an engine, I wouldn't void it for something like a water pump failure.

Warranties are somewhat tricky waters to navigate and these are just a few of my thoughts and do not reflect any official Chrysler policy currently in place.

ericautopart 08-11-2010 11:34 AM

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

erm 08-11-2010 11:54 AM

Oh wow!!! A NAISSO linky??? Damn...haven't seen those in a while.

Was a lifetime member of that organization until someone stole my ImpalaSS.

The Magnusson Moss Act is still a bit vague about who is liable for repairs under warranty when the vehicle has been modified. Obviously, a body rust through failure cannot be disclaimed because the owner installed an aftermarket stereo.

But that kind of divergence is not normally the issue.

The case that Randy describes above would be more typical where one engine assembly is modified and another one fails.

The Act provides for a process to file, negotiate or even arbitrate a dispute between the OEM and the purchaser.

Truly, you do not have to take the dealer's position on a failure being attributed to a modification as the final word if you wish to protest.

My experience has been that a long term, working relationship with your dealer and the service advisors goes a long way to reaching agreement on repairs, costs and warranty issues.

I'm kind of going through that right now. I am a repeat customer at this dealership (3 vehicles purchased there) and I have developed the relationship with two of the service advisors and the service manager. They take good care of me and I'm grateful.

I even bribe them... :) On hot summer afternoons, I'll take a cooler full of ice cold Snapples to the crew. If I am dropping off a vehicle in the morning, I will stop at a local bakery and get a couple dozen mixed donuts/bearclaws/maplebars and drop them off. First of all, they seem to like the goodies and I truly do appreciate what they do for me as a customer.

So a little relationship building and goodwill goes a long way.

I'm pretty sure Randy isn't opposed to donuts... ;)

RamTech 08-11-2010 11:55 AM

You can throw up the Magnusson-Moss warranty act all day long and it doesn't matter. Aftermarket brand parts that meet OEM specs are covered by this but altering the factory equipment is not.

RamTech 08-11-2010 11:56 AM

Bribery works well! It doesn't have to be high dollar stuff either; plain old glazed doughnuts are just fine!

RockyRam 08-11-2010 11:59 AM

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/u...ee09/donut.jpg

Will this work? :LOL:

City Slicker 08-11-2010 12:12 PM

Great, I'm hungry now :LOL:

erm 08-11-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 280420)
Bribery works well! It doesn't have to be high dollar stuff either; plain old glazed doughnuts are just fine!

It isn't a bribe...it's appreciation for all you do. :)

918Dodge 08-11-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 280419)
You can throw up the Magnusson-Moss warranty act all day long and it doesn't matter. Aftermarket brand parts that meet OEM specs are covered by this but altering the factory equipment is not.

Let me clarify.. Say I put a flowmaster on my truck in replacement of the factory muffler, it won't void any warranties? I was told that only mopar parts will keep from voiding the warranty.

RamTech 08-11-2010 01:15 PM

No, the Flowmaster will not void your warranty.Tthe M-M warranty act says that the manufacturer cannot insist that you buy their brand parts to maintain your warranty. If they tell you that you must run their brand part to keep your warranty intact, they are obligated to provide that part free of charge. By that same token, if an aftermarket part fails causing damage, the factory warranty isn't obligated to cover the damage but the manufacturer of the failed part may offer some sort of coverage.