DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Black oil in 6.7 CTD (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59078)

Quiet Lunatic 08-12-2010 01:48 PM

Black oil in 6.7 CTD

Hi guys, I am new to this forum so this question may have been asked and beat up before, but again, I'm new hear so please excuse me.

Is it normal for these trucks to produce black oil IMMEDIATLY after an oil change?? Yesterday I took the truck to get an oil change and the tech put in the Valvoline Premium Blue that is recommended by cummings, and after he put the oil in and had me start the truck and then shut it off so he could check the level on the dip stick, and the oil on the dip stick was completely black without even driving a mile on the truck. Please advise, is this normal ?? Even the tech changing the oil thought that was odd. Thanks in advance.

RamTech 08-12-2010 01:53 PM

That's nothing unusual; diesels are filthy engines inside. Sounds like the lube tech hasn't been doing this very long. FYI it's Cummins, not Cummings.

Quiet Lunatic 08-12-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 281381)
That's nothing unusual; diesels are filthy engines inside. Sounds like the lube tech hasn't been doing this very long. FYI it's Cummins, not Cummings.

Oops, sorry for the typo (lol)

CdnoilRAM 08-12-2010 03:43 PM

Yup, completely normal in a diesel engine. You can change it, drive it a mile, and change it again, and it'll be black. It's just the way they operate, so have no fear.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-12-2010 03:48 PM

And don't get that nasty stuff on ya . It will stain ya real good .

cuda71 08-22-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 281450)
And don't get that nasty stuff on ya . It will stain ya real good .

Yup, Diesels = black oil, haven't had to do my own oil change yet thanks to the deal I worked in when I bought the truck, but that day will be coming soon enough, I'll have to make sure not to get any on me the first time I do it.

Diesel Geek 09-03-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuda71 (Post 289058)
Yup, Diesels = black oil, haven't had to do my own oil change yet thanks to the deal I worked in when I bought the truck, but that day will be coming soon enough, I'll have to make sure not to get any on me the first time I do it.

the best way i found to change the oil on a CTD is to get a drain pan that is not open on the top it will have just a hole in the middle. drill a bunch of holse in the top about 1/4'' in diameter. pull the drain plug while the engine has night soaked. it wont go all over the place the cause oil is nice and thick.

rsg1963 11-07-2010 01:13 AM

Actually,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Geek (Post 300277)
the best way i found to change the oil on a CTD is to get a drain pan that is not open on the top it will have just a hole in the middle. drill a bunch of holse in the top about 1/4'' in diameter. pull the drain plug while the engine has night soaked. it wont go all over the place the cause oil is nice and thick.

I found the best way was to use the open top pan. I've tried three types (one similar to what Diesel Geek mentioned) and the open top ones work best for me. Probalby just a preference thing, but I also like the oil nice and warm. Habit I suppose. Bottom-line, changing your own oil can be a very satifying experience as you will know it was done right, with the right oil and filter, but that comes with the price of a 'possible' mess, and recycling the oil to the auto parts store afterwards (I dump my oil into a 5 Gal gas can dedicated to this so I can get 2 changes for one trip to the store). Have fun either way, no matter how you get it done and keep changing that Diesels oil, it's about the only thing you need to do for a Diesel regularly...besides spark plugs and muffler bearings of course!

cuda71 11-07-2010 07:56 AM

Ya don't you just hate changing those muffler bearings, it's good to have a bucket of steam and a sky hook when you do them, makes life a lot easier!