DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   An exhilerating day at school!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59334)

iRESQu 08-15-2010 09:04 PM

An exhilerating day at school!!!

As most of you know, I am attending my NPQ FF1 with a completion date of Oct 23rd. Yesterday was a fulfilling and wild day of training. I just wanted to share it with you guys. I have no pics because we won't be photographed until our test day. All I can show you is me in gear and you've seen it. But I will try tomorrow to get a few more pics. Meanwhile.......

I had a full day yesterday of training and it was unbelievable. What a daggum rush! I have been on cloud nine since! We did "escaping a hostile environment", so in full gear (50-60 lbs) in 93+ degree heat and humidity, I was blind-folded and spun 5 times, put in an unfamiliar fully furnished house. The house was blacked out. Total darkness, aside from being blindfolded! I had to get on my hands and knees meant for mimicking a fire, find my hose and differentiate the proper direction out. I had less than 20 min to do this, following 300 ft of hose. Some of it was under furniture, some of it was tangled with other lines, so much fun! I had to move furniture without getting off the ground or letting go of my hose line. After that task, we were allowed to go back in and see the house. Your adreline rushes so uncontrollably that I had moved, WITH ONE HAND or my head/helmet, a couch, recliner, bed, oven, desk and many other household items. You really get an idea of what you're capable of doing and your true strength! Such a rush! BUT......there's more....

Then they set up 3 con-ex's (sp?), the steel containers on ships. They are stacked 3 high with staircases to mimic a house with basement, living area and an attic. They hid a "victim" and we had to find him in the same manner. Full geared, blindfolded, on our hands and knees with no vision. This time we were paired. The flooring was made of cinder blocks, bricks, ashes and wood pieces, burnt and unmarred. There were obstacles as well, like a house. But with the attic portion, there are additional entrapments set to simulate wiring within the home. At one time I was briefly entangled in the lines. I got free, but what a great learning experience! The difference was trying to locate the victim and stay on a wall while searching so that I don't get lost in a house fire while looking for victims. I had to stay on a (left side) wall while my partner held onto my right pantleg and spread across the floor feeling for any signs of a body. I did it twice, so I got to lead on one and I got to bring up the rear on the other. All the meanwhile, it was also meant to show our communication skills with our partners and our teamwork. I can't say I have ever been so happy doing something ever in my life, like this!

Late yesterday and today, my knees are very bruised and sore, but if I had the chance, I would do again RIGHT NOW! Also we have all established a rapport and camaraderie unmatched to any other. We all went to lunch together and really cut up, just being ourselves. What a great career choice!

BlueJet 08-15-2010 09:05 PM

That does sound like fun!! WTG girl!!! Make us proud!!

City Slicker 08-15-2010 09:07 PM

I can almost picture it with that description! Unbelievable Paris, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

iRESQu 08-15-2010 09:10 PM

Thanks guys! It is so awesome. I really cannot put it into words! We were all so very hot and sweaty, sticky, nasty, but I wouldn't think twice of doing it again. And being that this is an all volunteer class, you know they are as dedicated as I am or they wouldn't be giving up their Saturdays (8:30am-4:00pm) and Tuesday nights for 3 hours! There isn't one person in my class that I wouldn't trust to save me or have my back in a fire or an emergency. Great group of people!

CajunDodge 08-15-2010 09:11 PM

Awesome Paris, I'm very happy for you!!! I have no doubt that the people who one day will be depending on you will be in very capable hands, and like Stacy said, WTG girl, thanks for sharing that with us!!! :smileup:

- Cajun

dodgeman70592 08-15-2010 09:13 PM

Very cool, what a rush!

iRESQu 08-15-2010 09:28 PM

Thank you Dana and Jared. The other funny thing is as we are all taking our turns at it, the rest of the class is outside. So if you are on the outside, it is really funny to hear what is happening inside. For example, with the connexs, we have no walls formed, it is just the steel. Everytime someone would run into a corner or wall, all you hear is profanity accompanied with really loud thumps and echos an the instructors inside laughing at the student. Then you would hear the student laugh at themselves. I did that quite often! Inside the house, there were things being thrown, moved and all sorts of noises. Really funny outside, just trying to imagine what could be going on inside the facilities.

CajunDodge 08-15-2010 09:31 PM

I bet that would be kinda funny, especially since you know those on the inside can't see a darn thing, lol!

- Cajun

Juice420 08-15-2010 09:41 PM

WTG Frenchie!!! It takes Mucho Gusto to do what your doing!!

RamStrat 08-15-2010 11:11 PM

Awesome!!!

I cant wait till i go to the Police Academy....all tho, I have thought of going Fire...

I come from a LEO/FF family for generations