DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Knowledge Base (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Source Of Trans Noise Revealed (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59472)

RamTech 08-17-2010 09:10 PM

Source Of Trans Noise Revealed

Since I was at the Atlanta training center today, I decided to look into the noise issues with the 545RFE transmission when putting it into reverse. I cornered the transmission instructor and asked about any known noise issues that occur when putting the trans into reverse. What he told me is that around the '07 MY, some genius decided that the low/reverse solenoid no longer needed to be activated all the time when in reverse and rewrote the TCM programming to pulse width modulate the solenoid. This is the buzzing/grinding noise people are hearing.

The instructor also told me that there was no reason at all to do this because everything involved in the operation of the L/R clutches was working just fine. He then proceeded to question the intelligence of the person that changed the way the L/R solenoid operates with words I can't post in a public forum.

As of this time there is no available fix that I am aware of but if I hear of anything, I'll post it ASAP.

RootBeer 08-17-2010 09:13 PM

Thanks Randy, its certainly been a puzzling issue here on the Z.

RansRAM 08-17-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 285572)
Since I was at the Atlanta training center today, I decided to look into the noise issues with the 545RFE transmission when putting it into reverse. I cornered the transmission instructor and asked about any known noise issues that occur when putting the trans into reverse. What he told me is that around the '07 MY, some genius decided that the low/reverse solenoid no longer needed to be activated all the time when in reverse and rewrote the TCM programming to pulse width modulate the solenoid. This is the buzzing/grinding noise people are hearing.

The instructor also told me that there was no reason at all to do this because everything involved in the operation of the L/R clutches was working just fine. He then proceeded to question the intelligence of the person that changed the way the L/R solenoid operates with words I can't post in a public forum.

As of this time there is no available fix that I am aware of but if I hear of anything, I'll post it ASAP.

Quick questions, how do you know if you have that transmission ? I have DGQ next to the transmission on my bill of sale ?

RamTech 08-17-2010 09:21 PM

You've got it. The only automatic behind the Hemi or 4.7 in the 1500 Ram is the 545RFE.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-17-2010 09:35 PM

Sometimes they just can't leave well enough alone .

City Slicker 08-17-2010 10:14 PM

Thanks for the info Randy :smileup:

chithead 08-17-2010 10:17 PM

Does it sound like a fat guy in corduroy pants?

:D:D:D

RansRAM 08-17-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 285581)
You've got it. The only automatic behind the Hemi or 4.7 in the 1500 Ram is the 545RFE.

Thanks for letting me know however I have not experienced this noise so what are the combinations of actions required for this to happen and is there any long term effects/damage that can occur ? :thk:

RamTech 08-17-2010 10:25 PM

As I understand it, just shifting into reverse. There are no known damage issues as of now.

RansRAM 08-17-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 285696)
As I understand it, just shifting into reverse. There are no known damage issues as of now.

Thanks for letting us know, at least if it happens now I will no why. :smileup: