DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Motor Mounts Replacement Question 4.7L 2WD (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59529)

tazsafety 08-18-2010 06:36 PM

Motor Mounts Replacement Question 4.7L 2WD

Does anyone have some advice on how to replace the motor mounts? If someone has done this, please give me some advice on how to properly and safely replace the mounts. Do I need to get a engine crane? Can the engine be lifted using a floor jack? Where should I place the support under the oil pan or somewhere else? Any advice? Thanks:thk:

RootBeer 08-18-2010 06:44 PM

It can be jacked up. Do NOT put the jack under the oil pan or tranny pan. You will need to unbolt both the engine and tranny. You should only have to jack it up an inch or so. Just enough to get at the bolts holding the mount to the block. Take out the block mount first then the frame mount. Put the new ones in, in reverse order. Have someone lower the assembly until you can easily slide the cross bolt back into the two mounts and do the same with the tranny. Once all bolts are in place, tighten and drop the jack.

tazsafety 08-19-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 286312)
It can be jacked up. Do NOT put the jack under the oil pan or tranny pan. You will need to unbolt both the engine and tranny. You should only have to jack it up an inch or so. Just enough to get at the bolts holding the mount to the block. Take out the block mount first then the frame mount. Put the new ones in, in reverse order. Have someone lower the assembly until you can easily slide the cross bolt back into the two mounts and do the same with the tranny. Once all bolts are in place, tighten and drop the jack.

Thanx for the reply RootBeer. I have some questions. If I can't place the jack under the oil or tranny pan, then you are saying that I have to use a motor crane? I was looking at my engine and I have no where to place the hook to the engine to be lifted. Friends of mine are saying to use a piece of wood to place it under the oil pan and jack up the engine. The repair manual said to use a crane.

RootBeer 08-19-2010 07:25 PM

Check between the block and tranny. Put a block of wood on the jack. Or using the same wood, look just forward of the engine oil pan where it bolts to the motor. The pan itself is not strong enough to hold the weight.

tazsafety 08-20-2010 02:27 PM

Thanks RootBeer for the info. This weekend I will look under the engine and get busy replacing the mounts. I thought it will be a good time to pain the mounts too. :smileup: Thank you again RootBeer, I will post pics of the replacement. -Taz

tazsafety 09-15-2010 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
RootBeer, thanx so much for the information you have given me to help me replace the motor mounts. This passed weekend, I finally replaced the mounts and real HAPPY with the results. Here are some pics of the mounts. Thanks again, -Taz :smileup: