DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   leveling kit problems? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59737)

jaybull 08-21-2010 03:19 PM

leveling kit problems?

I'm just new here and have a question right of the bat. I figured i should join since i read everything on here anyhow.lol. My question is about my leveling kit i installed on my 06 1500 4x4 quad cab. I installed the 2'' leveling kit from daystar on my truck with no real problems. It was a little hard to get the driver side steering arm back into the upper balljoint but i figured it out. Then i got a wheel alignment done right away. Just a few problems, in 4x4 it seems to have problems turning tightly and also anything past 60kph it starts to vibrate. In 4 wheel low it is worse for turning. My tires also look like they are wearing strange. Any ideas? I'm thinking of pulling the lift out. Thanks jay.

City Slicker 08-21-2010 10:34 PM

I have the 2" Daystar kit on my 07 Ram and I have the same problem when engaging 4WD. I having mine taken off this Thursday because of the death wobble. Basically your only two options are to take it out or deal with the wobble.

erm 08-21-2010 11:29 PM

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. There's gotta be a fix for the wobble with the Daystar kit. Either of you call them?

City Slicker 08-21-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 288845)
Sorry to hear you are having a problem. There's gotta be a fix for the wobble with the Daystar kit. Either of you call them?

I took my truck to my shop and they called for me. They basically said they hear about like 1 in every 100 trucks complain about the "death wobble". I just happen to be in that category. Removing the spacer should do the fix, so that's what I'm doing.

erm 08-21-2010 11:38 PM

Well, don't that just suck.

City Slicker 08-21-2010 11:40 PM

Yeah, it sucks. I have an appointment set for Thursday to have the spacers taken out, tires rotated & balanced, and shackles for the rear installed to help with the rake.

ScatPak07 08-22-2010 12:38 AM

The vibration is caused due to the half shafts being on a higher angle. You can correct this by lowering the front diff. If you take a look at lift kits they correct this by bringing everything back to stock height and angles. Since you are just putting spacers on you dont have the parts to do this. You can try contacting a company that makes these lift kits and see if you can buy just the part you need to stop the vibration.

The next thing you could do is buy a lift kit to correct it all.

The vibration is not death wobble. Death wobble is caused by the tires and steering going back and forth very hard and rapidly. You cant control the truck when this happens, you just have to hold on for the ride haha. The Daystar leveling kit does not do anything wrong, it is just lacking the parts that you need to correct the vibration you are having. I have the same problem in my truck right now since I too have a leveling kit in. I have the Bilstein 5100s in not the Daystar kit.

City Slicker 08-22-2010 12:21 PM

They told me the next time I'm at a red light, switch on 4wd and drive in a straight line, and if the truck starts to shake rapidly back and forth (like it did for me) the best thing to do would be to take out the leveling kit.

jaybull 08-23-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 (Post 289119)
They told me the next time I'm at a red light, switch on 4wd and drive in a straight line, and if the truck starts to shake rapidly back and forth (like it did for me) the best thing to do would be to take out the leveling kit.

Ya take it out and eat the cash you spent for kit and alinement ect ect. I hate when you buy a product that don't work. 1 in a 100? i bet they say that to every guy that buys the kit. Junk. I'm gonna be out 300 buck all for nothing. Not including my time for install. There should be a thread or fourm just for problems relating to products that don't do what they say or the problems that come with the gear we buy. I searched on net about my 06 1500 4x4 for problems with leveling kits and came up with nothing. That 300 buck could have got my tow hook kit. God dam no tow hooks on a 4x4. lol what was i or dodge thinking?lol Thanks guys.

City Slicker 08-23-2010 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's not something I was planning on doing, but I really need 4wd with winter approaching. So it's what I have to do.