DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   my 5.2 mod list (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59799)

xdodgex24 08-22-2010 04:12 PM

my 5.2 mod list

Ok i'm on a quest to give my 5.2 more power and better mpg's

Let me know what you guys think

Stage one
DIY intake ($70)
Magnaflow muffler ($70)
port and polish TB (FREE!!)

Stage two
Hughes FI airgap intake manifold kit ($599)
pacesetter LT's ($445)
1.7 rockers (unknown)
B&G Custom tune ($350)
valve springs???
Cam???

let me know what you guys think so far and if you know of any better prices please let me know

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-22-2010 04:20 PM

Looks like a start .

RamGirl625 08-30-2010 12:22 AM

what kind of diy intake you talking about. sounds like a good list.

CdnoilRAM 08-30-2010 12:34 AM

Looks like a good list, but I'd watch for the 1.7 rockers, some people ahve had some issues runnign a ratio that high, the 1.6 still gives a good result without the potential of tapping. Everything else looks great :smileup:

440ram 08-30-2010 12:52 AM

Look into a good roller cam, they can give more lift with less duration making it more efficient and aloowing more power.

I would like to know more about the setup..ie, what vehicle? weight? tire size? etc.

Alot of these dodges cam with 3.55 gears, if you spend most of your time under 70mph, and have an overdrive transmission look into 4.10 gears at least or even 4.56's. The gear advantage will allow the motor to work less and require less throttle position to keep the truck moving, not to mention the hudge advantage in towing conditions and overall acceloration.

To give you an idea of what 4.56's are like in a truck with 31in tires,..its kinda like any car with 3.73;s and a normal 26in. tire, ....not overgeared at all as long as you have OD.

I would do a good CAI setup that keeps the heat out of the intake, full exhaust with ceramic coated headers to keep the heat in the exhaust and out if the engine bay, hollowed out cats for inspection reasons, and 4.56's or 4.10's depending on tire size.

and as always if your after MPG's weight has a big factor in that as well. 20in. rims are alot heavier then 15's, even if the tire is the same height. A mudd terrain will have more drag at highway speeds vs a similar all terrain. Make sure the truck or bed is not full of un needed trash of supplies.

xdodgex24 09-07-2010 07:22 PM

my truck is a ecsb 4x4 with the stock wheels and tire size running 3.55 gears, I really want to put some 4.10's but its kinda pricey with it being 4x4. I plan on fabing up my own CAI i have done some fiberglass work in the past so we will see how that turns out. thanks for the info on the 1.6 rockers! any idea of the duration of cam would work well with little or no stall?

xdodgex24 09-07-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamGirl625 (Post 295877)
what kind of diy intake you talking about. sounds like a good list.

I plan on making the top cab out of fiberglass and probably ABS tubbing wrapped in header tape, i also plan on making some kind of cold air scoop out of fiberglass.