DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   Power Window works, power door lock and speaker does not? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59876)

TexasAggie97 08-23-2010 05:38 PM

Power Window works, power door lock and speaker does not?

My rear driver side power door lock and speaker stopped working. My window still powers up and down (thank goodness). I tested the speaker and the actual speaker works, when hooked up to the rear passenger side door.

Are the speaker wires connected through the power door lock mechanism so that when the mechanism fails, so does the speaker? Does anyone have a video or photos of how to uninstall the door lock mechanism? If I have to order it, what part is it actually called, mechanism seems very general.

Is this a difficult fix? I am somewhat mechanically inclined if I have the right tools (took me bit to find the T30 size Torx screw driver so I could remove the handle).

dodgeman70592 08-23-2010 05:53 PM

You can also us a 10mm socket for the door handle...

CdnoilRAM 08-23-2010 10:32 PM

You might check to make sure the harness that runs between the door and body is properly connected. You need to pinch both the front and back to remove it, check for corrosion, clean as required, add some dielectic grease for better connections, then plug it back in. Cheapes thing to try.

TexasAggie97 08-23-2010 11:02 PM

anyone know of a good visual site that shows, in-depth, how to properly remove the wiring and window/door lock mechanism? I can easily remove the speakers but it seems the rest is bolted onto the door frame. I don't want to remove the wrong thing or order the wrong part!

CdnoilRAM 08-24-2010 12:03 AM

I'd get a hold of Remerson228, he might be able to get you something, he's a chrysler tech

luvmyhemi65 10-11-2010 10:50 PM

door problems

I have an '04 ram quad cab which had the same problem. Speaker and power lock stopped working on my rt rear door last summer. I found that the wires between the door pillar and the door were cut clean through. You have to remove the rubber boot that protects the wire harness. This is an easy fix, just unplug the harness from the door pillar, pull back the boot and splice the wires.
I was surprised to see that someone else had the exact same problem as I did. I wonder if someone on the assembly line had a bad day?????

Good Luck

SM

Mikel 10-23-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 290491)
You might check to make sure the harness that runs between the door and body is properly connected. You need to pinch both the front and back to remove it, check for corrosion, clean as required, add some dielectic grease for better connections, then plug it back in. Cheapes thing to try.

:smileup:

also you can check the voltage from the back side of the connector and the front side of the connector to make sure that you are getting a signal and they are the same... it may appear to be connected well but may be loose or corroded inside of the connector

brad12kx 10-23-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmyhemi65 (Post 332011)
I have an '04 ram quad cab which had the same problem. Speaker and power lock stopped working on my rt rear door last summer. I found that the wires between the door pillar and the door were cut clean through. You have to remove the rubber boot that protects the wire harness. This is an easy fix, just unplug the harness from the door pillar, pull back the boot and splice the wires.
I was surprised to see that someone else had the exact same problem as I did. I wonder if someone on the assembly line had a bad day?????

Good Luck

SM

This is actually a common problem.....not specific to Dodge. It looks like the wires were cut....but they weren't....just broke from flexing in the same place, so we can feel confident that the assembly line workers didn't cause this.

As indicated in the post I quoted, the fix is pretty easy. :smileup:

SoArkSi 11-18-2010 10:14 PM

I have an 05 quad cab with the same problem.......driverside rear door. I Have spliced the wires twice now, does anyone know where I can get a complete door harness??? I looked and where it connects at the door pillar, it goes into the door and splits to all the different areas. Thanks for any help.

nhynne 01-17-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmyhemi65 (Post 332011)

Good Luck

SM

Thanks for the info :) had the same problem and is now fixed! :smileup: