DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   overheating/bubbling 5.9 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59910)

funflag 08-23-2010 09:57 PM

overheating/bubbling 5.9

I have a '93 dakota 5.9l 4x4 (I know it's not a ram, but I'm looking for some help, and the dakota site has offered nothing). I recently replaced the radiator, hoses, filler cap on the top hose, thermostat and cap. I am filled with 50/50 fresh coolant. I have pressure tested and no pressure loss. (I pumped up to 20lbs and it held for ten min.) I also tested the new cap, and that tested fine. If I get the engine hot, not from normal driving, reving the engine at idle, or driving in low gear, it bubbles over profusely into the overflow bottle after stopping. I had originally noticed this after towing a small pop up trailer. the needle doesn't have to get out of the normal range, just to the upper end. The aux fan works, fan clutch has no play no wobble/leak/noise from water pump. No white smoke, no oily radiator fluid. Heater works fine and top and bottom hoses both hot. Any help would be apprecitated. i am at a loss here...

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-23-2010 10:35 PM

You may want to test the cooling system for CO2 . Sounds like you may have a head gasket issue .

RootBeer 08-23-2010 10:46 PM

Did you try back flushing the system? Are you sure the thermostat is in correctly? I've seen them put in upside down before.

No milky oil? Have you pulled the plugs to see if they are damp? How does the motor run otherwise?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-23-2010 11:03 PM

Sounds like he has a cracked ring in the head gasket , allowing compression to get into the cooling system .

wermbang 08-23-2010 11:13 PM

Welcome to the site. Looks like they have got a started in helping you solve your problem. Don't forget to head to the newbie checkin thread. We don't care about that you only have a Dakota, it's the Ram's little brother. Even our master tech here has a Dakota and not a Ram.

funflag 08-24-2010 01:06 AM

I left the pressure tester on and turned on the engine. About two min and no pressure buildup. Yes the thermostat is in correctly, I have double checked that. The engine runs fine. No milky oil. I have not checked the plugs yet. Thanks for the ideas so far. I will check for co2 tomorrow.

funflag 10-02-2010 12:25 AM

Many non-truck issues in life lately, I wanted to give an update and let everyone know what I determined was the prob. The radiator cap on my dakota is in the hose. I had to replace the filler cap fitting as the other one had cracked. The radiator cap was not fitting with enough pressure. I replaced it and problem solved. Luckily no big issue!!! Towed the trailer on a hot Az day into some 4 wheel drive terrain up some hills and no boil over. Thanks again for all the input.

moparmanicac 10-02-2010 12:34 AM

glad to see ya fixed if ya got a 5.9 dak im assuming the r/t or ya did a very nice engine swap?