DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Kills and More Kills (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   1 horse power kill (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=59920)

CdnoilRAM 08-24-2010 01:32 AM

1 horse power kill

Ok, this one actually takes place on a horse, but was hilarious to say the least.

A little back story:

Now, I live in Calgary, which in the riding/cowboy world means that I'm normally a poser or an 'urban-cowboy'. Now, while I drive a lowered truck most of the time and wear wranglers, buckle, and stetson (mostly 'cuz I love the look) I still ride my quarter horse down at my uncle's ranch and have been known to get on a bull when the opportunity presents itself.

So, on my vacation in Osoyoos, BC, my cousins wanted to go for a trail raide... great, I get to sit on a horse that's quite content with following the ass of the horse in front of it. Not my idea of a good time and to start the ride the 'trail boss' aka half drunk 'cowboy' who couldn't button his shirt up in front of the 8 little kids on the ride kept making fun of me saying things like 'never seen a real cowboy from Calgary' and such... I was kinda intent on making him eat his words.

Now a normal trail ride is one horse following another, but this one was different, for the 'people who can control their mount' they offered a 1/4 mile sprint. I was enthused by this idea, so my cousin and i were the only takers from the group. I was saddled on a new comer to their stable so they didn't know how he'd run. Later did I find out my mount was an ex-roping horse that was there due to a past ankle injury (this means it's an outstanding sprint horse)

So, we line up with the second trail boss, a nice woman who's great with the kids, and still seemed to have the same chip on her shoulder as the trail boss about the 'calgarian cowboy'. Well, she gets us to turn and let the horses loose, now, she's racing as well and she gets the lead, but I'm close behind her and I just let my mount have it's head and start egging him on... well, when she turns around (cuz normally their participants are not that good riders) I'm right there and she lets her horse have it, picking up some quick speed, and we were side by side, when I started laying into the flanks with the reighns and man did that horse respond, he pulled it from somewhere and just like stomping on the pedal after a clean shift, this guy just dug down and stood into it. God he had some power, and the lady tried to whip her mare into it as well, but it was too late, I'm blowing by her and take the gate :smileup: Now, the look on this woman's face was priceless :SHOCKED: If only I had my camera. Only way to describe it would be: "did that just happen?!?!?" crossed with "WTF!!!":box2:

Afterwards the lady apologized to me saying that I 'could ride' and was surprised to see someone who was willing to give the horse its head; she then offered me a smoke, and we had a nice gallop back to meet up with the main group. Once we rejoined the group and the gal had her talk with the trail boss, he was chattier than all hell, and we went on for the rest of the ride about horses and trucks :smileup: Oh, and they said I didn't need to stay in line since I knew how to ride, and I could take the side trails I wanted... I just had to watch for rattlers. Just goes to show, people aren't always what they seem. Oh, and I whooped her ass :LOL:

erm 08-24-2010 01:34 AM

Fantastic story, Kurtis!!!

dodgeman70592 08-24-2010 01:38 AM

Nice....great story!

RootBeer 08-24-2010 01:49 AM

Great story. Sounds like an awesome ride.

CajunDodge 08-24-2010 03:59 AM

Very cool story Kurtis, sounds like a fun ride!

- Cajun

col 08-24-2010 05:26 AM

Good boy Kurtis , just shows what one horse & his man can do:smileup:

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-24-2010 09:08 AM

You showed them who was the boss .

ram71351 08-24-2010 09:29 AM

Yahooooooo !!! Way to go Cowboy !!!!

iRESQu 08-24-2010 09:36 AM

YOU DA' MAN!!!! I wish I could've been there to see that. It sounded spectacular.

UN4GTBL 08-24-2010 09:48 AM

bwahahaha

Thats awesome!