DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   CAI or drop in filter replacements (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60112)

flipster 08-26-2010 05:22 PM

CAI or drop in filter replacements

Anyone have any luck with CAI or drop in filter replacements?

I put a drop in K&N in my truck and though it doesn't make a difference in the way it sounds, it has increased a little on the MPG. I used to get about 15.8 round town and 19.4 on the freeway.

I get 16.4 around town now and somewhere around 21 freeway if I keep it under 75 MPH.

What are your results with either CAI or Drop-in?

City Slicker 08-26-2010 05:28 PM

I did the big 3 mods all at once, so I'm not sure what gains the intake alone gave. But with the intake, programmer, & exhaust mods together, I'd say around 2-3 MPG (depending on driving habits)

Toms Blue Ram 1500 08-26-2010 05:29 PM

I originally installed a drop in . Didn't notice much of a difference . I installed a K&N Cai . What a difference .

flipster 09-01-2010 04:23 PM

Yeah, I love the way the S&B and Voliant CAI's look so I am waiting till they come out with a 4.7L version... Could be a while. I thought about piecing together a Spectre CAI, but just don't want it to look hodge-podge.

Keep Posting all!!!

CHVYKLR 09-04-2010 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went with a drop-in only becuase the gains from CAIs aren't realized until the upper RPMs. I realize that the drop-in gains are probably in the upper RPMs also but $40 vs $300 is a big difference. If I was going for all out hp with a power-adder then I would def have a CAI. For my application the drop-in works for now. I'm sure if I was to come across a really smokin deal on a CAI I'd probably buy it....

Here is a dyno graph. 8 hp at 4700 rpm.

RootBeer 09-04-2010 10:37 PM

The stock CAI on the 09 and 10 are a true CAI. You have little to gain by installing an after-market one unless you go with one of the higher ends units.

mcfarlinclan 03-03-2012 10:21 AM

did a homemade cai from this forum getting 15 mpg in town 17 on interstate with duals gonna do adrop in K&N filter and see if i can get a few more mpgs. everything ive done has helped.luv my dodge mack.

jeep4me99 03-04-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipster (Post 298275)
Yeah, I love the way the S&B and Voliant CAI's look so I am waiting till they come out with a 4.7L version... Could be a while. I thought about piecing together a Spectre CAI, but just don't want it to look hodge-podge.

Keep Posting all!!!

I have an Airaid intake box and filter I'm willing to part with. If you want to upgrade to the full CAI system all you need is the MIT they sell ($120). I live in Richmond, so not too far from you.
email me if you wanna take a look at it. bryan grande at aol. no spaces

THK 03-25-2012 02:43 PM

Save your money and do the drop in. For the extra money of a CAI, you purchased a lot of noise lncrease. There is no real seat of the pants performance gains. You might gain a couple of HP points, but nobodies butt is that calibrated.

Darkknight3829 04-09-2012 03:31 PM

AirAid CAI with a PowerAid Throttle body spacer. Killer Combo. DO it!