DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Left rear door wont open!?! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60408)

01DodgeRam1500 08-30-2010 08:35 PM

Left rear door wont open!?!

My left rear door wont open.. its not damaged or anything just 1 day i tried to open it and it just wouldn't open! Is this a common problem with the 01's? Can i fix it myself? If not how much will it cost to fix?
Thnx for ur help guys!! :smileup:

RootBeer 08-30-2010 08:45 PM

Ok, gotta ask, are you trying to unlock it from the back seat or do you have power locks and doing it from both front doors?

If you get it open, check the position of the child lock switch which the door may or not have on the side of the door.

You may have to slip a coat hanger in between the window and frame to catch the mechanism and pull up to unlock it if you can't get it open otherwise.

If you get it open, pull the inside panel after confirming the child lock is not tripped.

01DodgeRam1500 08-30-2010 09:12 PM

Trying to open from the back seats.. how would i go about opening the door with a coat hanger without scratching or tearing anything up?? Thanks RootBeer

RootBeer 08-30-2010 09:30 PM

Bend a hook into one end of the coat hanger. Slide it down the window between the glass and the "squeegy" looking rubber. Do this as close to the lock as possible. Slide it down about half-way down the door and slowly lift.

This all assumes you have vertical locks and not horizontal. If horizontal I have no idea how to get them to behave. This also assumes the door is locked and not broken.

01DodgeRam1500 08-30-2010 09:48 PM

Its an exteded cab so i cant use a coat hanger to open it.. Is there anyother way??

erm 08-30-2010 09:58 PM

Yep...pull your inner door panel and look for the latch / locking mechanism. The connecting rod to the handle may have broken or the hook pulled out.

01DodgeRam1500 08-30-2010 10:02 PM

Where are the screws or clips holding the door panel on? Sorry for bein such a newb :sad:

RootBeer 09-01-2010 06:09 PM

Just looked at my neighbor's extended cab F--d. The handle to open the door is on the front side of the door and there appears to be a lever below it which I'm guessing is a locking lever.

It looks as though you could easily trip that lever to locked by brushing against it. Just a thought.

GTyankee 09-01-2010 06:51 PM

If you have AAA or the Canadian equivalent, drive to one of their yards & they may pop it open for you without any charge to anyone
they have an inflatable bladder that moves the window enough to use a slim jim without any damage to the glass or anything else
AAA is one product that i will never be without as long as i own a 2 or 4 wheel vehicle

ViperRacer 09-04-2010 01:21 AM

When I bought my '99, it was the same deal. Turned out that the lower latch was actually completely seized and needed to be cut off and replaced.