DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   DIY CAI questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60517)

jcasey10 09-01-2010 01:40 AM

DIY CAI questions

Okay, I've read the "black mamba" post, and understand it all. But I think in 2002, with the new body style, they changed the style of the air hat, because, in Wermbang's photos, the hat it just basically a box. Mine is an actual circle, similar to that in the durangos or dakotas. Does anyone know if I could just use my stock air hat and throw some PVC on it with an air filter on the end?

wermbang 09-01-2010 02:21 AM

You got a pic of what your engine bay is like? and the stock setup

jcasey10 09-01-2010 12:30 PM

I can't get a pic since it's raining, but its not even a circle. I just a tube that connects on top of the throttle body, bends 90 degrees, and comes out about a foot before it hits a flexible tube that goes to the box. I might be able to just connect some PVC to the end of that tube, and run it down with a filter on it. Where would I find some rubber bushing to hold the two ends together?

RAMING IT 09-12-2010 05:50 AM

jcasey i did just that .I finished my diy HOME DEPOT "Ram Air" CAI. Using stock air box I enlarged the exsisting inlet hole to acomodate a 4" 45 pvc elbow angled towards a clear tight path inbetween the radiator n inner wheel well. I coupled it to a schedule 40 "Thicker n Heavier" PVC pipe that ended bout 2" above fog light were it coupled to a 6" to 4" cone shape aluminum hvac style reducer / coupler. FINALLY a 90 HVAC scoop That had a 6" Inlet on one end and 12"L 10"W 2.5"H rectangle on other end of the " L " shape scoop. Top of scoop was flush w/ bottom of bumper. I had to cut away a 12" long piece of plastic trim that clips n bolts on underneath bumper:thk:

jcasey10 09-12-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMING IT (Post 307751)
jcasey i did just that .I finished my diy HOME DEPOT "Ram Air" CAI. Using stock air box I enlarged the exsisting inlet hole to acomodate a 4" 45 pvc elbow angled towards a clear tight path inbetween the radiator n inner wheel well. I coupled it to a schedule 40 "Thicker n Heavier" PVC pipe that ended bout 2" above fog light were it coupled to a 6" to 4" cone shape aluminum hvac style reducer / coupler. FINALLY a 90 HVAC scoop That had a 6" Inlet on one end and 12"L 10"W 2.5"H rectangle on other end of the " L " shape scoop. Top of scoop was flush w/ bottom of bumper. I had to cut away a 12" long piece of plastic trim that clips n bolts on underneath bumper:thk:

Thanks, that helps a lot. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

RAMING IT 09-12-2010 01:12 PM

Pictures coming

GOODMORNING Z's . Im going to try to put them up today hopfully sooner than later. MINUS the trim w/ screen my Sons voted aginst it hehe. Keep in mind my diy cai is a rough fit and not yet primed for paint so its fugly but WHO CARES,, the performance and YES MPG's make up for it. My average street gain was bout 1.5- 2mpg & hwy averaged 2-3mpg no b.s . Our eyes were glued to the MPG meter!!!!!! ( DISCLAMER ) so long as i dont floor it from light to light, Then you"LL average......1 or 2mpg no b.s. maybe if i run it all the way to T.B ill gain ? Any ideas guys? I believe the BLACK MOMBA style gained a few.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-12-2010 01:25 PM

Heres a link to a neat website . You can buy just parts or complete kits . http://www.ramairbox.com/index.html

RAMING IT 09-12-2010 01:50 PM

Tom I have always wondered what seperates a (standard) 360 from the (sport package) 360.

RAMING IT 09-12-2010 02:18 PM

Found new toy store.

Outstanding site TOM. Im seriously considering tearing out my knock off for a ram air / air box kit they'r offering. Site got me all worked up on the forced air induction. hmmm. :smileup: