DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   CAI problem? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60799)

BigOrange 09-04-2010 09:16 PM

CAI problem?

I'm running an Airaid MIT on my '08 4.7L with a stock gutted airbox & a K&N drop in filter. However, today I got a deal on an Airaid quick fit cold air dam with a cone filter. Part# 300-192. This uses the bottom of the stock airbox, but replaces the top with an open style box & cone filter. I installed it, and went for a test drive. As soon as I got on the gas the engine bogged down and sounded/felt rough. It struggled to pull from 1200-4000 rpm. Could the extra airflow from the new setup have thrown the computer way off, or confused it? I did not disconnect the negative battery cable for the instalation, but upon returning from my test drive I disconnected it to reset the computer. I plan on leaving it disconnected all night and checking it out again in the morning. Has anyone ever experienced this, and are there any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas, as to what may be going on here????

GPSHSLAX 09-04-2010 09:23 PM

I didn't have that experience but then again I did pull the battery to reset the adaptives. Let us know what happens after that.

sobercrew 09-04-2010 09:36 PM

Im all most positive once you drive it again it will be just fine cuz the ecm was not reading the extra air flow

4pnt7 09-04-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOrange (Post 300933)
I'm running an Airaid MIT on my '08 4.7L with a stock gutted airbox & a K&N drop in filter. However, today I got a deal on an Airaid quick fit cold air dam with a cone filter. Part# 300-192. This uses the bottom of the stock airbox, but replaces the top with an open style box & cone filter. I installed it, and went for a test drive. As soon as I got on the gas the engine bogged down and sounded/felt rough. It struggled to pull from 1200-4000 rpm. Could the extra airflow from the new setup have thrown the computer way off, or confused it? I did not disconnect the negative battery cable for the instalation, but upon returning from my test drive I disconnected it to reset the computer. I plan on leaving it disconnected all night and checking it out again in the morning. Has anyone ever experienced this, and are there any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas, as to what may be going on here????

That's weird, I just took an airraid quick fit of my truck and installed a ramhammer with no problems. Are you sure nothing is inside the tube?

RootBeer 09-04-2010 11:27 PM

Did you hook everything back up?

BigOrange 09-04-2010 11:38 PM

everything is hooked back up right, and I'm pos. nothing is in the tube. I just drove it again after having the neg. battery cable off for a couple of hours, and it felt a little bit smoother, but it's still confused..... not sure what to do here except go back to the factory air box. Something is just not right here.... this is weird.

4pnt7 09-04-2010 11:44 PM

Hey big orange, I see your from dallas.

I'm in Arlington, I'm leaving monday but I just wanted to invite you in our Dfw truck club. Lots of guys that are from the dfw g2g once a month sometime more. Just giving you a heads up if you wanna hang with some locals and meet some new people. 979-645-0330 is my number.

BigOrange 09-04-2010 11:50 PM

Are there any other ways to reset the computer? Or is disconnecting the battery the way to go?

4pnt7 09-05-2010 12:01 AM

You can reset it by pulling the fuse. Don't remember which one. I can find it if your interested.

I would drive it like that for a few days so your computer will learn the new air flow. That's just me.

BigOrange 09-05-2010 12:11 AM

Is there any harm being done with it sounding & accelerating rough like that?
Thanks for the club invite BTW!