DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   2001 Dodge Ram Electrical problems out of the blue.. NEED HELP! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60836)

79JON 09-05-2010 05:23 PM

2001 Dodge Ram Electrical problems out of the blue.. NEED HELP!

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 that I bought about 3 months ago. Ive never had any electrical issues till today. I crank the truck up this morning and roll down the window. Then I went to roll it back up and nothing.. Passenger side wouldnt roll down or up either. Then i get down the road and my ABS and AIR BAG Light stay on.. and my speedometer and odemeter doesnt work either. everything else does though???? Truck runs like normal though?? I checked the fuses and everything seemed fine. Can anybody give me an idea of what this could be? Do I have a bad Computer or relay maybe? I'm just confused why everything happened at once. Oh and the battery checked out fine at the parts store. Any help would be great!

CdnoilRAM 09-05-2010 06:05 PM

I had a bad cluster and it sounds a lot like what happened to mine. I'll let someone else have some input to give you more options, but replacing the cluster solved my issues.

RamTech 09-06-2010 12:21 PM

I stringly suspect an ignition switch problem since your problems all share the A22 circuit. Remove the column covers and check the wiring and connector to the ignition switch as some overheating/melting may have occurred. With the key in the run position, you should have battery voltage on the bk/or wire.

79JON 09-07-2010 08:54 AM

Thanks for the reply's.. I'll check into that for sure. Looks like I will need to get a wiring diagram out and start checking things out. It's just weird that everything went out at once. People are saying change the speed sensors in the tranny and rear end.. but I dont think that would be the problem really since everything went at once. But ill check it out.

RamTech 09-08-2010 09:10 AM

An rear speed sensor problem will NOT illuminate the airbag lamp or caused power window problems.

79JON 09-08-2010 04:19 PM

Ram Tech.. I think your right about the Ignition switch being the problem.. I have been looking at wiring diagrams today and everything comes from the A22 circuit. And I agree that the ABS and air bag lights wont come on with a abs sensor going bad on the rear end either. Everything just went at once. I do have a question though, Where exactly is the A22 circuit? Is that in the ignition switch or somewhere else? I appreciate your help

79JON 09-09-2010 09:54 AM

Well.. I took the column cover off to check out if there are any wires burned or melted. Well.. apparently something happened before to the previous owner and they cut the original harness going to the Ignition Switch Splicing in a new connector that plugs into the switch. :i_rolleyes: And they did a crappy job of it to:smiledown: So.. now my next step is to get it all connect right before I get a new ignition switch and see if I just had a loose wire or bad connection in all that mess. But if I get all the wires straight and it still has the same problem.. my guess is something took a dump in the switch maybe?

RamTech 09-10-2010 09:06 AM

I'd venture the guess that someone had a similar problem with a burt connector before and did a poor job of fixing it. Repair your wiring first and then see what happens. A switch issue is still possible.

Mikel 09-20-2010 10:27 AM

79JON,
How is it coming? I had to replace an ignition switch in my previous 06DR and now it seems I will have to replace it on my current 06DR. The dealer says it is because my keyring is too heavy and the weight causes the switch issues...
I found that the Duralast switch form Autozone has a lifetime warranty and is only $40. The dealer wanted $200+ to do the job.
Please let us know how your situation turns out.

RamTech 09-22-2010 01:19 PM

A heavy key ring will cause lock cylinder problems but I've never seen it cause a switch problem. Not saying it couldn't tho...