DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   22.5 mpg for labor day trip (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60946)

HEMILANCER 09-06-2010 07:26 PM

22.5 mpg for labor day trip

just got back from my weekend excursion and we took the truck on its first long trip. it was 500 miles round trip and cruising between 65-70 she averaged 22.5 mpg on the dashboard! i'm so impressed with the comfort on long highway rides and the mpg's are just off the charts for a vehicle this size. i did the most fuel efficient mods just for these trips and it really paid off. i have a drop in k&n, catch can, and peragon bedcover. i really wish my goodyear wranglers would hurry up and wear out i think a smoother street tire would give less friction with the road, i might even change the aspect ratio too to jump the 3.90 gearing a little higher.

BccustomzRam 09-06-2010 07:35 PM

Is a Catch Can really worth it on a HEMI?

Hey there I just picked up a 04 Ram Hemi sport. I have the k and n in it and a access cover does it really make a difference with a catch can? What is the purpose of the catch can? What does it do and the need for it? Thanks please let me know. I am still trying to figure out this site as for posting things and trying to see my response so you can email me at Bccustomz@gmail.com thanks

City Slicker 09-06-2010 07:39 PM

Nice MPG! Glad to hear it!

RootBeer 09-06-2010 07:40 PM

Hemilancer,

Great to hear about the mpg. I'm looking forward to my first trip in a couple weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BccustomzRam (Post 302701)
Hey there I just picked up a 04 Ram Hemi sport. I have the k and n in it and a access cover does it really make a difference with a catch can? What is the purpose of the catch can? What does it do and the need for it? Thanks please let me know. I am still trying to figure out this site as for posting things and trying to see my response so you can email me at Bccustomz@gmail.com thanks

The catch can takes the oil the PCV is returning to the intake to be burned and catches it in a can so you can dump it instead. Helps to keep the intake and cylinders cleaner. Catch can does not affect mpg.

MoparerNocar 09-06-2010 09:20 PM

That's a very good idea, my filter is always cover in oil from that thing. Where do you get a catch can?

Studbuster 09-06-2010 09:57 PM

I check my fuel milege every tank, miles devided by gallons used, and have never had the same milage as shown on the EVIC, always lower. It feels good to watch it but it does't help at the pump.

HEMILANCER 09-07-2010 08:09 AM

studbuster i agree with you it is optimistic however it can be useful in tracking improvements. before this 500 mile round trip the longest i had driven was 100 miles round trip and as i made changes the average has increased. i used to have trouble getting in the 20's.

Wildcat 09-07-2010 10:32 AM

Last tank i was better than the evic by about a half a mile per gallon. Evic said 18.6 on a 250 mile labor day trip for me, and i got on it to pass a few times. No mods at all, and less than a thousands miles on the odometer.

fuzzycali 09-07-2010 11:58 AM

thats great mpg. these trucks are great on road trips,especially crew cabs with rear dvd ;). my truck gets 21-22 also on trips.17-18 around town.

CajunDodge 09-07-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoparerNocar (Post 302784)
That's a very good idea, my filter is always cover in oil from that thing. Where do you get a catch can?

You can check here for the catch can: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61 :).

HEMILANCER, I would be impressed by that, too, that's great mileage! :smileup:

- Cajun