DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Knowledge Base (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Blacking Out your stock 20's: Basic How Too! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=60972)

RamTex 09-07-2010 01:31 AM

Blacking Out your stock 20's: Basic How Too!

I did this mod about 2 1/2 months ago and had a few people wanting a how too. So here you go.

Ok so basically your going to need to decide how you want to paint these. Whether or not you want to just paint the outer most part of the rim or the whole thing, in which case i would remove the tires. I just painted the outer most part. No removal of the tires needed.

Supplies....This is what you need minimum! 1 or 2 cans extra wont hurt. I mean you dont want to need one and not have it. So if you can paint like a pro then the amount listed should be enough.

1. 2 foam 120 grit sanding pads.
2. 1 bucket of water/water hose
3. 3 cans of Duplicolour Primer
4. 4-5 cans Duplicolour Chrysler Brilliant Black
5. 4-5 cans Duplicolour Clear Coat
6. 1 roll of 3M masking tape like 2 inch's wide .
7. Plastic Trash Bags (To tape off the rims)
8. Jack/Jack stands, ( I used four stands)
9. Tools to remove the lugs.

Step 1. Of coarse remove the wheels. Clean the rims as good as you can to remove all the oil, grit, and grime.

Step 2. Sand till you cant really see your reflection, should be like a brushed aluminum look. Use lots of water here, the key is to keep the foam pad wet.

Step 3. Clean again to remove any oil and shavings from the sand that got back on the wheel. Then just let them dry.

Step 4. Once dry you can start taping off the rim, you want to get tape between the rim of the wheel and the tire. Then slip your gigantic trash bag over the wheel. And cut out enough to let you re-tape to the tape that you put down previously.

Step 5. Double check the tape for gaps, once you feel comfortable start your primer coat. I only did one. NO Sanding is need and if you are that picky then dang.

Step 6. Let the coat dry for like 35 - 40 minutes minimum, that's pretty standard. Then go ahead and shoot the first Black Paint coat. Let it dry then paint the next. Let it dry then paint then next. Let it dry.

Step 7. Clear coat time! Same... Paint, Let it dry, Paint, Let it dry, Paint, Let it dry. Once it's dry pull the garbage bag off and re-use it on the rest. Then remove the original tape around the rim to finish it off.

Step 8. Almost done! At this point you got to give the clear coat time to settle. This could take around 3-4 hrs respectively you will see the change in texture don't worry just give it time. Once you feel comfortable put the suckers back on and your good to go.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55048 to see the pics!
This is pretty much exactly what i did to my rims so there yah go my first Z how too!

PorkChop 09-07-2010 01:38 AM

nice write up! thanks

RootBeer 09-07-2010 02:13 AM

got before and after pics? no pics, it didn't happen. :D

City Slicker 09-07-2010 01:49 PM

Nice writeup!! :smileup:

Big Daddy 09-07-2010 09:27 PM

Nice write up. You've given me the courage to go for it on mine in the next few weeks. Gonna try a different color but that's the neat about painting, if you want to try a different color go for it - if that doesn't work for you change it.

ScatPak07 09-07-2010 09:33 PM

Thats a great write up man! Thanks for helping the members on here out!

CajunDodge 09-08-2010 03:30 PM

Very nice write up, thanks for taking the time to post that! :smileup:

- Cajun

txhemi 09-08-2010 03:37 PM

Great how-to!
:rep:

E220 01-12-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTex (Post 303071)
I did this mod about 2 1/2 months ago and had a few people wanting a how too. So here you go.

Ok so basically your going to need to decide how you want to paint these. Whether or not you want to just paint the outer most part of the rim or the whole thing, in which case i would remove the tires. I just painted the outer most part. No removal of the tires needed.

Supplies....This is what you need minimum! 1 or 2 cans extra wont hurt. I mean you dont want to need one and not have it. So if you can paint like a pro then the amount listed should be enough.

1. 2 foam 120 grit sanding pads.
2. 1 bucket of water/water hose
3. 3 cans of Duplicolour Primer
4. 4-5 cans Duplicolour Chrysler Brilliant Black
5. 4-5 cans Duplicolour Clear Coat
6. 1 roll of 3M masking tape like 2 inch's wide .
7. Plastic Trash Bags (To tape off the rims)
8. Jack/Jack stands, ( I used four stands)
9. Tools to remove the lugs.

Step 1. Of coarse remove the wheels. Clean the rims as good as you can to remove all the oil, grit, and grime.

Step 2. Sand till you cant really see your reflection, should be like a brushed aluminum look. Use lots of water here, the key is to keep the foam pad wet.

Step 3. Clean again to remove any oil and shavings from the sand that got back on the wheel. Then just let them dry.

Step 4. Once dry you can start taping off the rim, you want to get tape between the rim of the wheel and the tire. Then slip your gigantic trash bag over the wheel. And cut out enough to let you re-tape to the tape that you put down previously.

Step 5. Double check the tape for gaps, once you feel comfortable start your primer coat. I only did one. NO Sanding is need and if you are that picky then dang.

Step 6. Let the coat dry for like 35 - 40 minutes minimum, that's pretty standard. Then go ahead and shoot the first Black Paint coat. Let it dry then paint the next. Let it dry then paint then next. Let it dry.

Step 7. Clear coat time! Same... Paint, Let it dry, Paint, Let it dry, Paint, Let it dry. Once it's dry pull the garbage bag off and re-use it on the rest. Then remove the original tape around the rim to finish it off.

Step 8. Almost done! At this point you got to give the clear coat time to settle. This could take around 3-4 hrs respectively you will see the change in texture don't worry just give it time. Once you feel comfortable put the suckers back on and your good to go.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=55048 to see the pics!
This is pretty much exactly what i did to my rims so there yah go my first Z how too!

hey is this possible to do at a powder coater

i love your rims but is the finish going to stay on

five0addiction 01-12-2011 12:30 PM

nice write up