DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Click.....Click.....Click..... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61006)

mkarns 09-07-2010 04:10 PM

Click.....Click.....Click.....

Hello all,

My left front wheel is making a clicking sound especially if I make a left turn.

Any idea what I'm gonna need to replace and how urgent is it?

It just started.....

Thanks experts!

:Hey:

M. Karns

iRESQu 09-07-2010 04:16 PM

Without the details of your truck, it is hard to decipher. Please fill out your User CP with the details of your truck and hang tight, someone will chime in that's able to offer some great advice.

RamTech 09-07-2010 04:23 PM

If you have a 4WD I would suspect the axle joints but as Paris said, we need a lot more info on your truck to make an educated guess.

chithead 09-07-2010 04:37 PM

Ball joints.

projectdodge1500 09-09-2010 01:03 AM

Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 303462)
Ball joints.

Just had mine done about a month ago, that clicking was coming from my right side, and would stop only when turning the opposite direction. :smileup:

mkarns 09-12-2010 03:31 PM

I have a 1997 SLT 4x4 ext. cab. 5.2 L engine 5 speed.
Thanks.....

Okiespaniels 09-21-2010 03:14 PM

I'd say front axle joints, but if you've got a Jack and a jackstand you can test all your LH components in a couple of minutes.
Set transfer case in 4h (with motor on) When CAD is engaged shut off the motor. Set your emergency brake, jack up your lh side of the axle and secure it with a stand. Safety first!
First check your hub bearings. Grab the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 (top and bottom) and try to move it. Any play or wobble is a bad hub bearing. May not be THE problem but will be a problem. There's no need to rotate the tire. so 4wd engaged is ok.
Nsxt, check your ball joints. Using a pry bar or appropriate tool, slip it between the axle and the hub or in such a way you can pry up on the hub. If the hub moves (the factory allows .060") your joints are worn.
Lastly check your u-joints. Since your axle is locked, rotate the tire and watch for movement between cup and cross. BTW, rusty looking dust around the caps or grease is a bad sign. There may be play from gear back lash which is why you want to observe carefully. You can also use your prybar to move the joint. Any play at all means replacement.
PS: I realize I posted what may be obvous information for many folks. I also know many inexperienced people also read these threads who may not be sure how to check these components. I apologise to anyone who feels I overstated the obvious.

SafetyGuy 09-21-2010 03:19 PM

^^ nope i feel very good information ^^ Rep you

Chili1K 09-21-2010 03:21 PM

GRAVEL IN THE TREADS! get the screwdriver out and dislodge it.. stay away from gravel.. :LOL:
Every rotation you here the rock smack the cement!! unless your in grass... then it could be ball joints...LOL

(pointing out the obvious)
Chili

Okiespaniels 09-21-2010 03:32 PM

Yeah, could be a nail or screw stuck in the tire...OUCH!