DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Warranty Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Warranties - How To (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61015)

RootBeer 09-07-2010 07:38 PM

Warranties - How To

Hopefully folks will find this useful, I just wish all people planning to buy a new Ram would come here and see the kind of info we have on this site and I'm not talking just about warranties.

When buying a vehicle see if you can find out which warranties are available from the dealer, then get on the internet and do your homework.

There are basically 2 types of warranties, 1) manufacturer new car warranty, and 2) extended warranties.

Manufacturer warranty from Dodge is currently 3yr/36,000mi bumper to bumper and 5yr/70,000 drive train.

Extended warranties which have varying lengths and coverages. The warranties kick in when the new car warranty expires, but you pay for them from day 1.

There are 2 types of extended warranties, 1) Chrysler's extended warranty, and 2) after-market (whatever your dealer sells other than Chrysler's and of course what you find on the internet).

The Chrysler extended warranty comes in 3 flavors, 1) Powertrain (which covers exactly what it says, the powertrain), 2) added care (which covers the major components, and 3) Maximum Care (which is a bumper to bumper warranty). Details on these warranties can be found here http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....t=maximum+care

The aftermarket warranties can be problematic. The person selling it to you will tell you their warranty is accept everywhere, where in fact if you do a little research on Google you'll find out otherwise in many cases. I did the research after I got my Ram and felt like I'd been taken. Since that time I have learned a lot about warranties thanks both to the good folks here on the Z and Google. I have now canceled the warranty the dealership sold me and will be purchasing the Chrysler Maximum Care warranty in the future.

The problem with some of the extended warranties is they are sold by and owned by the dealership and or the dealership's corporate HQ. This is the case with the warranty I was sold. A little research on their warranty turned up horror stories of the warranty not being accepted at any location other than one of the corporation's dealerships, which there are 40 in the western states. This is fine for the person that tends to stay home, whereas I need something that covers me no matter where I go.

The other problem is the list of covered components. While Chrysler will give to a list of what is covered, most other extended warranties will only list the major items covered.

I hope I have helped with this post.

CajunDodge 09-08-2010 04:18 PM

Good post RB, some very useful info there! :smileup:

- Cajun

Turbovsix 09-10-2010 12:10 PM

Awesome info.

However, the current drivetrain warranty from Dodge is 5 year/100k rather than 5 year/70k as noted above, right?

RootBeer 09-10-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbovsix (Post 306133)
Awesome info.

However, the current drivetrain warranty from Dodge is 5 year/100k rather than 5 year/70k as noted above, right?

My bad, good catch, thanks.

moparmanicac 10-02-2010 11:48 AM

The honda care warranty I got on my used truck is great 3yr 36k miles on everything instead of listing what it covers it list what it doesn't cover and say everything else is covered much simplier at least hondas good for something

topspin 10-14-2010 11:14 PM

Guys - Buying an older ram 2004 slt 5.7l with 66k miles. Dealer is going to give me 6 months on the power train. Any thoughts on an after-market or chrysler warranty to extend the P/T warranty to 36 months....or so? WIll be a second vehichle and only drive perhaps 6k or so a year.
thanks to all my friends here! JD

GTyankee 10-15-2010 12:35 AM

I am going to extend my Rams warranty & get the longest warranty that they offer, i already know that NO PLASTIC parts are covered, like my hood, front bumper, & grill & headlight enclosures

i will ask about which dealerships have to comply with it

Thanks for the posting Rootbeer

RootBeer 10-16-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topspin (Post 334609)
Guys - Buying an older ram 2004 slt 5.7l with 66k miles. Dealer is going to give me 6 months on the power train. Any thoughts on an after-market or chrysler warranty to extend the P/T warranty to 36 months....or so? WIll be a second vehichle and only drive perhaps 6k or so a year.
thanks to all my friends here! JD

You can see about getting the extended warranty Chrysler offers, there are various levels. But watch out for warranties sold by a dealer. Many are not accepted nationwide even though the dealer says they are.