DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Front end jingling over bumps (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61189)

6speedhemi 09-09-2010 11:31 PM

Front end jingling over bumps

Hopefully you guys can help me with this. When I go over bumps, big or small, I hear a jingling noise coming from what seems to be the front drivers side wheel area. The best way to describe it is it sounds like loose change jingling in a pocket. All the steering linkage has been upgraded to the new style, the track bar, u joints, ball joints, and sway bar end links feel tight. I can't hear it with the windows rolled up so I know its not loose change actually rattling around in the cab or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks!

RansRAM 09-09-2010 11:41 PM

Have you had anything done with your wheels ? I know someone who had a busted valve repaired and they left the old valve stem in the wheel. So when rolling it sounded like loose change. Just an thought.

6speedhemi 09-09-2010 11:50 PM

That's a possibility. I'm getting new tires in about a week so if that's the case it'll fix it. I hope it's something simple like that.

RansRAM 09-09-2010 11:53 PM

Good luck and be sure to let us know what it turns out to be.

RamTech 09-10-2010 09:50 AM

I notice you didn't mention the shocks. Check your upper shock mount and see if the bushing is damaged/missing. The washer on top rattling around will make a jingling noise.

6speedhemi 09-10-2010 03:41 PM

Oh ya I forgot to mention that I checked the shocks as well. The bushings are intact and the nut on top is tight along with the bolt on the bottom. Is there a possibility that something internally in the shock is jingling? I've never heard of that happening but I thought I'd ask.

RootBeer 09-10-2010 03:44 PM

Had any brake work done before it started?

6speedhemi 09-11-2010 12:22 AM

Well I haven't had the truck long enough to have brake work done. I took the wheels off and looked at the brakes and everything seems nice and tight. Are the anti-rattle clips visible without taking off the caliper? If so those are tight also. This stupid little noise is gonna drive me insane! Thanks for all the suggestions!

RamTech 09-11-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6speedhemi (Post 306268)
Oh ya I forgot to mention that I checked the shocks as well. The bushings are intact and the nut on top is tight along with the bolt on the bottom. Is there a possibility that something internally in the shock is jingling? I've never heard of that happening but I thought I'd ask.

I won't say it's impossible but I haven't seen a problem like that in a long time. The shock woul show signs of fluid leakage.

brandon9654 09-13-2010 02:00 PM

I had the same thing and the lower shock mount bolt had come loose! if that is the case be very careful you do not break the bolt while trying to tighten it. I broke mine and 350$ later mine was fixed.....new control arm/installation/alignment.