DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   I want more power! (exhaust) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61403)

MidwestJ 09-12-2010 05:18 PM

I want more power! (exhaust)

Newby here. Been reading/researching a lot on this and other forums.

I have an 09 crew cab 4x4 Hemi (Big Horn Package) and I want more power!!!!

I've already installed a CAI and am happy with that mod.

I'm ready to move onto exhaust.

I've read so much and listened to the youtube videos but I can't come to any conclusive decision on what's best for me.

My list of priorities:
1) want more HP/Torque!!!
2) want improved gas mileage
3) better sound is gravy-that's an added bonus

I have their OEM dual setup-2 pipes/catalytic converters which flow into a single pipe into my muffler and then split after that to the two tailpipes.

Went to a local muffler shop and the guy was pushing flo-pro mufflers. He really couldn't answer my questions. Wasn't really impressed with the guy.

I've looked at the magnaflow catback system and have emailed magnaflow about it. They advise I'll get 12-15 HP by bolting on their system. IS THAT TRUE!!?!??

Not looking to go with headers-too expensive and too involved for me.

Anybody have any dyno results or real world numbers? PLEASE HELP!!

I want more power!
Thanks

RootBeer 09-12-2010 05:22 PM

Welcome to the Z. I don't have the answers for you, but I'm sure someone will come along that does.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

GPSHSLAX 09-12-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestJ (Post 308145)

I've read so much and listened to the youtube videos but I can't come to any conclusive decision on what's best for me.

My list of priorities:

I have their OEM dual setup-2 pipes/catalytic converters which flow into a single pipe into my muffler and then split after that to the two tailpipes.

Went to a local muffler shop and the guy was pushing flo-pro mufflers. He really couldn't answer my questions. Wasn't really impressed with the guy.

I've looked at the magnaflow catback system and have emailed magnaflow about it. They advise I'll get 12-15 HP by bolting on their system. IS THAT TRUE!!?!??

I want more power!
Thanks

Welcome and be sure to check in on the Newbie board for an official welcome from everyone.

Onthe exhaust issue ... I have asked that same question. Everyone always seem to review exhaust based on sound and I would agree with you that sound is gravy. HP and MPG are the primary conserns. I've never heard of pro-flo so I can't help you there.

Whatever you figure out please let us know.

Juice420 09-12-2010 07:30 PM

If I were you I wouldn't even get a whole new cat-back. I would just do a muffler swap. Our trucks already have stainless steel pipes throughout the system.

What I did was I got a Flowmaster 40 series and added some pipe before and after the muffler (the Flowmaster is about half the size of the stock muffler) and welded it in place of the stocker.

Also the good thing about the stock system is it drowns out alot of the drone because the tailpipes exit out the back of the truck. Hope this helps.

erm 09-12-2010 08:12 PM

I like that ^^^^ answer.

Since you have the factory dual system, go with a dual system with a crossover or "H" pipe in it and two mufflers. That will get you a bit better torque.

Any freer flowing exhaust will improve HP. It's going to be hard to compare by going to the mfgr's websites...they will always put their best dyno result forward. And the tests aren't always apples to apples - different dyno set ups, different vehicles, different ambient temps - so that doesn't help either.

There may be a side by side, bolt on one, then bolt on the other dyno test out there but I have not found it yet.

All I would expect, though, is the difference between the systems isn't that much at all.

12 - 15 HP is doable with a good catback exhaust.

Kleeeen 09-12-2010 11:18 PM

I have heard Flopro's and they burble like they are under water, my impression. Oh they were on a Ford.

platinuminjected 09-13-2010 01:13 AM

i would say go with a magnaflow and a tuner and that should give you the hp and tq your looking for!!!

MidwestJ 09-13-2010 10:28 PM

Think I'm going to swap the y-pipe and have a magnaflow or mufflex 18" put in.

Thanks for the replies.

moparmike07 09-13-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestJ (Post 308145)

My list of priorities:

I want more power!
Thanks

i got magnaflow dual exhaust dont think you get that much but with a tuner you should b there also these trucks are not good for mpg i get like less then 13. there are post about theses

MidwestJ 09-14-2010 09:40 PM

Decsion

After talking with the local Dodge dealer and another muffler shop-I've decided not to mess with the Y-pipe.

Dodge dealer dissuaded me from changing it as did the muffler shop. Muffler man said he's done it before and the difference in flow wasn't that measurable. Plus-he said I'd be fighting a check engine light from then on out.

He also said that the catalytic converters are steel spun (???) and that they flow very well-much more so than porcelan (spelling?) so those don't need to be messed with.

For the most HP/Torque increase-he advised going with a muffler swap and cutting out the resonators.

I discussed the magnaflow catback bolt on system and he said there would be little difference in simply adding the magnaflow muffler and cutting out the resonators than their bolt on system. I told him that they advised I could expect 12-15 HP gain with their catback system and he agreed that that was feasible. I will re-confirm all of this when I go into the shop to have it done.

Further, I emailed magnaflow and they off-handedly confirmed the same-their bolt on catback system removes the resonators.

According to the muffler man there would be little difference between the two and I'd save a ton of $.

I've read several threads on here where there was no need to swap our OEM piping for magnaflow's entire bolt on kit and was thinking the same thing.

Welded up the magnaflow would be between $140-180. If I later decided to re-attach the resonators he said that'd be $40

So, I'm going to just do the muffler and remove the resonators for now. Muffler man said the 18" magnaflow wouldn't be obscene loud so I'm going to give that a go.