DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Who is the site cleen freak? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61443)

Kleeeen 09-13-2010 08:44 AM

Who is the site cleen freak?

As you can see with my user name I tend to keep my vehicles Kleeeen. As an example my 2009 GT500 is approx 1 1/2 years old and has 1250 miles on the odometer. Everytime I wax/polish my vehicles I write it down on the calender so as to keep track of my totals.

As of today I have exactly 200 coats of polish and or wax. That works out to roughly every 6 miles then it gets a 2-3 hour cleaning/detailing session. As my new truck (get it tomorrow) will be a daily driver I suspect I will wax/polish/detail her once per week. The odd time if I am bored I will do a second session. When I detail a vehicle I wax the door jambs, under the hood well anything metal.

My polish/wax of choice is Meguires. For polish I use Meguires number 7 and for waxing I use Meguires NXT Generation 2.0. I always apply my product in straight lines to avoid spiderwebbing and use cotton terry towels and microfiber towels to buff/finish. Of coarse the rims are polished and tires are always dressed usually with Armor-all.

The inside of the new truck will be spotless of coarse as will the engine bay. It is so easy to keep the vehicle spotless as long as you start from day one once home from the dealership. Lets see who my competition is folks tehehehe:smileup::smiley_thumbs_up::4-looney:

PorkChop 09-13-2010 02:27 PM

is it bad for the paint to do it too much?

Leadfootluke 09-14-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkChop (Post 308762)
is it bad for the paint to do it too much?

Definitely. Every time you touch the paint you are risking marring the paint. There are a few ways you can minimize the damage to your paint when taking care of it.

When washing it:
- Wash your vehicle with a high lubricity wash
- Use 2 buckets, 1 with water and a grit guard and 1 with the wash solution
- Use common sense, rinse off all dirt first, work in very small areas of paint if it is dirty. There are almost zero methods of washing a vehicle that ensures zero damage, but there are a few that keep damage to a minimum.
- Dry it with compressed air, or blotting using multiple towels

When polishing/waxing it:
- Do it when it is needed, you do NOT want to touch your paint with products and towels when you don't need too.
- Apply the product as directed and remove with a plush microfiber.

Kleeeen, I got nervous when you said you polished the paint that much! Obviously the word polish insinuates "polishing" the paint, which would translate into removing minor amounts of clearcoat everytime. I saw you used Megs #7, and thankfully it's not a polish, just a bottle full of oils and fillers [glaze]. I bet your paint looks super glossy. :smileup:

Also, I'm probably your competition :smiley_thumbs_up:
I like to polish and detail as well. http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57787

I do not detail compulsively though, just as I feel it's necessary. Reapply wax when needed, clean windows about 5 times a week [Stoner Invisible Glass], wash weekly, reapply tire dressing as needed, etc.

I bet you would love Optimum Car Wax. Comes in a spray bottle, and is awesome for refreshing the paint. Works as well as nxt, but I think you would enjoy it just as much.

Post pictures when you can!

platinuminjected 09-15-2010 12:45 AM

i like to keep my truck clean too but i dont go overboard with it and i work a 7 on and 7 off schedule at my work and for the week that im working its pretty much pointless to clean up the truck seeing that i have to park in a gravel parking lot but my usual routine is my first day off i will clean up the interior which includes vacuum and wipe down all the dash etc.....then ill clean up the engin bay and then move onto the rest of the truck and for that whole week that im off the truck is stotless even when it rains when its all said and done i will remove all the water spots by using the quick spray detailer....i will usually wax around once every month or two depending on how much i use a pressure washer when washing...my favorite wax of choice is the turtlewax ice that shit is amazing on a black truck but it was a pretty expensive ordeal trying to find a wax that i liked because iv tryed alot of them including mothers,maguires,shiney monkey,the original turtlewax,and im shure there are a few others im forgetting at the moment lol but needless to say my truck is clean most of the time lol

Kleeeen 09-15-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfootluke (Post 310311)
Definitely. Every time you touch the paint you are risking marring the paint. There are a few ways you can minimize the damage to your paint when taking care of it.

When washing it:
- Wash your vehicle with a high lubricity wash
- Use 2 buckets, 1 with water and a grit guard and 1 with the wash solution
- Use common sense, rinse off all dirt first, work in very small areas of paint if it is dirty. There are almost zero methods of washing a vehicle that ensures zero damage, but there are a few that keep damage to a minimum.
- Dry it with compressed air, or blotting using multiple towels

When polishing/waxing it:
- Do it when it is needed, you do NOT want to touch your paint with products and towels when you don't need too.
- Apply the product as directed and remove with a plush microfiber.

Kleeeen, I got nervous when you said you polished the paint that much! Obviously the word polish insinuates "polishing" the paint, which would translate into removing minor amounts of clearcoat everytime. I saw you used Megs #7, and thankfully it's not a polish, just a bottle full of oils and fillers [glaze]. I bet your paint looks super glossy. :smileup:

Also, I'm probably your competition :smiley_thumbs_up:
I like to polish and detail as well. http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=57787

I do not detail compulsively though, just as I feel it's necessary. Reapply wax when needed, clean windows about 5 times a week [Stoner Invisible Glass], wash weekly, reapply tire dressing as needed, etc.

I bet you would love Optimum Car Wax. Comes in a spray bottle, and is awesome for refreshing the paint. Works as well as nxt, but I think you would enjoy it just as much.

Post pictures when you can!

To date I have not washed the car as it is bubbled when in the garage. Three weeks ago while at the local cruise in I had 2 20 somethings come up and ask me a strange question. One of the chaps asked "where did you get your car painted" I must have had a strange look on my face because he asked the same question. I replied it was a factory paint job and now he had the stunned look. They almost looked at me like they did not believe it was a factory paint job. I then told them I had 600 hours in polish/waxing to which they congratulated me.

Now that I have the car looking the way it looks I will only wax/detail her once a week (4 times a month) instead of the 10 times per month I had been doing it. My way of thinking is that when I buy a brand new car I want it to look new forever. I have decided that every Sat I will wax/polish/detail the new Hemi which I am sure will keep it looking pristine:smileup:

There's nothing better than looking at a vehicle from every angle when you have just spent 2-4 hours shining it up.Oh ya the Shelby has never been driven in the wet and has never ever even seen the white stuff. I know it's only been 2 years since it left the factory but I can swear it will NEVER ever be driven in the wet. I almost forgot that I wipe down the underside of the car to be as dust free as possible.

brad12kx 09-15-2010 02:02 AM

I don't think I'm in the running for this position, but this truck has 2 years of commercial daily use. I recently turned it in and took possession of my 2010.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...8Ram-800-2.jpg

This link has a couple more pix of it -
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=54564

Leadfootluke 09-15-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleeeen (Post 310414)
To date I have not washed the car as it is bubbled when in the garage. Three weeks ago while at the local cruise in I had 2 20 somethings come up and ask me a strange question. One of the chaps asked "where did you get your car painted" I must have had a strange look on my face because he asked the same question. I replied it was a factory paint job and now he had the stunned look. They almost looked at me like they did not believe it was a factory paint job. I then told them I had 600 hours in polish/waxing to which they congratulated me.

Now that I have the car looking the way it looks I will only wax/detail her once a week (4 times a month) instead of the 10 times per month I had been doing it. My way of thinking is that when I buy a brand new car I want it to look new forever. I have decided that every Sat I will wax/polish/detail the new Hemi which I am sure will keep it looking pristine:smileup:

There's nothing better than looking at a vehicle from every angle when you have just spent 2-4 hours shining it up.Oh ya the Shelby has never been driven in the wet and has never ever even seen the white stuff. I know it's only been 2 years since it left the factory but I can swear it will NEVER ever be driven in the wet. I almost forgot that I wipe down the underside of the car to be as dust free as possible.

Have you considered using a wax or sealant-wax combination that is layerable? I think waxing it that much would be beneficial if you had products that layered too. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Kleeeen 09-16-2010 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfootluke (Post 311074)
Have you considered using a wax or sealant-wax combination that is layerable? I think waxing it that much would be beneficial if you had products that layered too. :smiley_thumbs_up:

My car has never been washed so I think the 2.0 is layering:smileup:

CajunDodge 09-16-2010 08:24 AM

I'm definitely a clean freak when it comes to my truck, not so much as one bug on my grille haha, and the inside is immaculate, no mud in the wheel wells, either, but I agree with you, much easier to keep up with it if you start from day one!

- Cajun

Leadfootluke 09-16-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunDodge (Post 311433)
I'm definitely a clean freak when it comes to my truck, not so much as one bug on my grille haha, and the inside is immaculate, no mud in the wheel wells, either, but I agree with you, much easier to keep up with it if you start from day one!

- Cajun

Not to mention keeping protection on a vehicle at all times will prevent/slow rust. Keeping up with washes to prevent buildup, and proper drying [getting inside/behind areas that hold water] will keep the paint and body looking great as well.