DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Bad dealer experience-How I ended up owning Chrysler products (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61485)

RainmanX 09-13-2010 09:28 PM

Bad dealer experience-How I ended up owning Chrysler products

About 8 years ago I was looking to replace my 99 3 year old Chevy Lumina with 32k miles. I wanted a silverado, and was looking at some used ones at Carmax.

Well I start looking at prices, and see that Carmax has new vehicles in Kenosha, Wisconsin. So worth a little road trip(about 80 miles away or so).

Fortunately I found a brand new basic silverado at Carmax in Kenosha for a great price, and they could handle the state taxes, GM card points, and it was in stock.

On the way up, a buddy of mine suggested we stop at this "Elite" chevy dealer. They had corvettes on the lot, and many camaro's (I think it was). They only had a couple of pickups, and they were loaded and outside of my budget.

When we first entered, they wanted to know what I was looking for, and what I was trading in. So I told them I wanted a basic silverado with the V8, 2wd, and towing package. They requested my keys to do a appraisal of my lumina before going forward.

So anyway, they ask if I saw anything on the lot I was interested in. I told them no, I was looking for a basic vehicle and have a high interest in the one in Kenosha, but would like to save the 160 mile round trip. I showed them the print out from Carmax's website.

So the sales guy claims that they can't sell this truck for this price, must be an error. I respond no error, and his tone goes from a smooth salesperson to a heated one. So he goes and get's his manager, who reviews the printout from their website.

So the manager, after seeing the information, told me never to come back, as I was "wasting their time". They found a similar vehicle local, but I would have to pay the transfer fees and they could have it in a few days.

So, now I have wasted an hour, and basically been told to go "pound sand". So then I ask for my keys back..10 minutes later I get them, and then I go outside..I can't find my car, the lumina I was driving that they were appraising.

I keep walking around, and finally I go back into the dealership and tell them I am calling the police because my car was stolen while they were appraising it, and my buddy is a witness.

So then they tell me to go to the body shop as they left it in the garage.

So..I went to Carmax and test drove the silverado. I really liked it, but on the sales person's advice, took test drives in other vehicles..I didn't like the Ford F150, the toyota was too small (and only a V6), and I also tried a trailblazer. The kicker was he recommended trying a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He found one with the 4.7 V8, and I was definitely impressed.

I thought it over, and a week later, went back and purchased a JGC. I have been a stout GM person, but the JGC performed well and never let me down.

Carmax has since slimmed down their new car lines. I had a great service relationship with my local jeep dealer (who was absorbed by a large dodge dealer), so I decided to support my local dealer when I bought my 10 Laramie.

RootBeer 09-13-2010 09:33 PM

Good story. I agree with your view of the first dealership. Glad you got your Ram now though. :D

CajunDodge 09-13-2010 10:17 PM

That is a good story, sorry to hear you were treated like that. I have no problem walking away from a dealership that tells me I'm wasting their time (had one salesman tell me I would get laughed out of the dealership for thinking I was going to get what I wanted the way I wanted)! They don't want your money or business, well it seems you found someone who did and congrats on your Ram! :smileup:

- Cajun

erm 09-13-2010 10:39 PM

I was told pretty much the same thing by a sleazy, slimeball sales manager at a Pontiac dealer. And I mean he fit the stereotype...slicked back hair, shirt open past the third button, gold chains and white shoes.

I took his advice and I never went back. I ended up buying exactly what I wanted down the road at another GM dealership. After that, I purchased 5 more vehicles at that same dealership.

If the sleazy sales manager had been a little less sleazy and a LOT more professional, maybe they would have sold me 6 vehicles.

Tough shit for them...

brad12kx 09-14-2010 01:15 AM

Great story!
In my market area, we have 1 large GM dealer (~35% market share), 1 sizable Ford dealer (~25% market share) and 2 small Dodge and a half dozen other dealers. The large Gm dealer is probably the best one to deal with. It doesn't matter who/what you are, or what your budget, they will bend over backward to get you into a vehicle. The ford dealer is almost the same. In fact, I really can't think of a negative thing to say about either one. One of the Dodge dealers is...well....it there wasn't the second one, I would not be driving a Dodge.

I seems the GM and Ford dealers have figured it out. Every person that walks through that door is a potential customer, and if you treat them right, they become 1 less customer for your competitor. I really like my Ram trucks. I am so glad that one of our Dodge dealers is good to deal with. :smileup:

iRESQu 09-14-2010 10:38 AM

Wow, nice write up! That's a, "How to lose a sale" article that should be hung up at all dealerships. I think they forget it is ALL about the customer.

HEMI5150 11-17-2010 11:18 AM

This is how i handle dealerships, by saying this to the first slicker salesman....

"First of all, i will come find you if you have/can get what i want, so go sit at your cubicle till i need you, as i`m not here to listen to your salesman bullshit...
Yoo pipsqueak salesman, you N-E-E-D to sell a truck, i DONT really N-E-E-D to buy a truck"
"I will tell Y-O-U-U-U-U the deal that will sell me a new truck, and keep your sales pitch`s for the dont knower`s"

To this day, i`ve won MY deal MY way at every stealership i`ve ever bought a vehicle at.
I`ve got people at work that always have me go with them to by their new cars and love how i handle dealer sales staff.

UnLiMiTeD 11-17-2010 06:39 PM

Sounds simular to my situation with ford, was between an f150 and the ram 1500 for me when i was buying, dodge offered me a much better deal, $5000 cheaper. So when i told ford and showed them the offer from dodge, my salesman i had been dealing with called me a liar and walked away. None of them beleived me until i showed up the next day with the truck and the invoice showing what i paid and got my deposit back :)

parrothead 12-30-2010 12:01 AM

My wife wont even go with me to shop for cars/trucks or anything else that might require interaction with a salesman.Says I embarass her,But hey its not me! Its them.I'm sure I've been screwed a little before but if I get a hug and a kiss and feel good when I leave...thats all people really want..right? I know most people hate the whole negotiation process and matching wits with a salesman,but I rather enjoy it.

GTyankee 12-30-2010 12:22 AM

LOL one time i wanted the first brand new Firebird at a Pontiac dealership, I had the money in the bank to pay cash, the slick salesman looked at my torn jeans & filthy t-shirt, i had been putting down asphalt all day, he looked at me & basically told me that i shouldn't bother him & should go back to a homeless shelter, i showed him my bank book & walked out the door, with him scurrying behind me like the vermin that he was