DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Air leak from one tire (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61529)

DirtRider 09-14-2010 02:07 PM

Air leak from one tire

One of my tires is leaking air - slow about 4-5psi per week.
The truck is brand new. I checked for any punctures or nails and found nothing, the valve is not leaking and no other signs of damage.

Someone told me a while ago that the rim may have an imperfection in the cast with a tiny hole in it and that may leak air.
Is that possible?

CHVYKLR 09-14-2010 02:14 PM

I guess that could be possible.

If there aren't any nails then I try spraying some water around the valve stem. No leaks there then try spraying it around the bead.

After that I guess the dealership is the next option. I'm sure others will chime in if they can save you the trip.

moparornocar72 09-14-2010 10:04 PM

More than likely on a new rim and tire it would be due to tap on weights causing a leak in the bead. Air your tires up to the MAX PSI then Take a spray bottle full of water and soap and spray the whole thing (bead,inside, outside) if it is leaking it will bubble up. You can also air it up that high and dunk it in water and it will bubble out and give you a better idea. If you have the means to take the tire off the rim sometimes it's easier to find a hole in smooth rubber than tread.

BJAMIN 09-17-2010 12:10 AM

Hey, not sure where you live but if it's in Canada go to Kal-tire, they'll check it out for free... they'll claim it'll cost 30 bucks but it won't. They just dunk it in a tank and look for air bubble. The other solution is a $10 kiddie pool. Unfortunately sometimes air leaks will only come out when the rubber is flexed in certain directions.... in that case... good luck.

Excoastie 09-17-2010 07:44 AM

I had a similar situation going on my truck. It was driving me crazy. I would get the TPM alarm about every 3rd or 4th day (often when it gave a psi reading of about 32-33psi).

I finally got tired of it, brought the truck in to the dealership, they couldn't find anything. So they added air and sent me on my way. Fast forward a week or so. The TPM alarm goes off again on the same tire.... brought it my local tire shop, had them check it out. Found a tiny piece of a nail hidden up underneath one of the tread lines. It took him about 10 minutes to pull it out (this was after he broke the tire down, couldn't get a grip on it at all with the tire "complete"). Tried to patch it twice, but for some reason the patch wouldn't take, air kept leaking... ended up putting in a plug.

They don't guarantee the plug anymore, apparently the patches work better. Go figure. Long story short... it didn't cost me a dime, and my tire is fixed.

Bring yours to a pro. They've got the equipment and knowledge to find the leak and fix it properly.

Exco

RamTech 09-17-2010 08:29 AM

Yes it's possible. If you want a cheap way to find it yourself, take an old spray bottle and fill it iwht a mix of water and dish washing liquid. Inflate the tire to 35 psi and then spray the entire tire and wheel assembly. Don't forget to remove the valve cap and spray the valve as well. The leak should show upwithin a few minutes.

RansRAM 12-21-2010 01:26 PM

Resurrecting this thread because I have a similar issue with snows I just installed on the Dodge Caravan my kids use. I just swapped the rubber on the existing rims (I know, not the best thing to have done). So now three of the four are loosing air slowly. Already took it back to the shop that did the swap and they are telling me the tires are crap, cracks along the bead. While they looked good to me and only had been used for two winters. So now what can I do, other than adding air once a week. I'm fishing for some ideas and don't really want to have them remounted. Would any of the spray in "fix a flat" stuff work ? Hoping one of you guys can offer a solution to try.

RootBeer 12-21-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RansRAM (Post 387402)
Resurrecting this thread because I have a similar issue with snows I just installed on the Dodge Caravan my kids use. I just swapped the rubber on the existing rims (I know, not the best thing to have done). So now three of the four are loosing air slowly. Already took it back to the shop that did the swap and they are telling me the tires are crap, cracks along the bead. While they looked good to me and only had been used for two winters. So now what can I do, other than adding air once a week. I'm fishing for some ideas and don't really want to have them remounted. Would any of the spray in "fix a flat" stuff work ? Hoping one of you guys can offer a solution to try.

If you're not planning on taking it on long trips and only using the tires in winter, I'd use the fix-a-flat stuff and see if that works.

For next winter I'd suggest investing in some cheap rims and put new snows on them. Tires don't like being mounted and taken off often. The beads are designed to have stress on them, not sit with no air which results in the cracking you're talking about.

RansRAM 12-21-2010 06:28 PM

Thanks RB. Yup, winter beater just for around town that I want safe enough for the kids to drive. I put air in this morning and read 38 psi. My daughter drove around today with it and tonight I checked and it read 37 psi. So it is a slow leak and that was the worse of the four. So I will try the fix-a-flat and see how it holds up. I'm planning on new tires and rims for it in the spring.

jj ram 12-22-2010 02:47 PM

I haven't used fix a flat cans before, but I know people who have and it worked for small slow leaks.

And Rootbeer is right, you need to keep winter tires on winter rims. Tires don't like to taken off and on rims repeatedly, especially cheaper tires will eventually form cracks along the bead.