DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Whats wrong with my 1997? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61923)

rph1 09-19-2010 11:33 PM

Whats wrong with my 1997?

I have a 1997 dodge ram 2500 with a 360 in it. I purchased the truck about 2 1/2 months ago and when i got it i was putting regular (89 octane) in it from valero w/o any ethanol and i was getting about 12- 12.5 mpg. Since my valero station started putting ethanol in my mpgs dropped to 9 - 10 mpg, so i put high test (93 octane) in. that brought me back up to 11.5 - 12. Now i'm not even getting that, the truck turned into a dog, I got passed out by a f-350 w/ a utility body that had a 5.4 in it, while going up a hill the other day. I know my truck ain't gunna be no land speed record maker or be a powerhouse like a cummins. I know people that have the same truck and pull 5th wheel horse trailers, and don't have no issues. So far i'm all stock, plugs were changed 4yrs / 30,000 miles ago. I checked the plenum and there isn't much oil laying on top.

Do you have any suggestions on getting more power and mpg

skeezy1 09-20-2010 12:09 AM

prob need to change fuel filter from the ethonal loosing up everything in the fuel system. and get forword to changin the fuel pump in the future.

when we started grttin ethonal around here, my bro-in-law's shop was overloaded with pump jobs.

rph1 09-20-2010 09:11 AM

I bought the truck off my relation and he kept excellent care of it. He used to take the truck to West Virginia once a year hunting and if he thought something might break on the trip he would change it before he left, so he changed the fuel pump in it last year before he left

rph1 09-21-2010 04:20 PM

anyone else have any thoughts? anyone...................

Mac 09-21-2010 06:26 PM

Start with the basics, gas, spark, and air. Maybe do a fuel pump check per the manual, usually involves having someone crank while you catch the fuel in an old milk jug and measuring against the specs. Next, check the plugs. 30,000 can be a lot of miles on some plugs. While there, maybe do a compression check. Next check the air filter. The combines are out pretty heavy where I live and that can clog a filter in no time.
Could the exhaust be clogged? Or maybe the cat? Have them checked out. Could just be a coincidence with the ethenol.
Good luck!

RootBeer 09-21-2010 06:34 PM

Go to the auto parts store and by a Chilton's or the like manual. They have troubleshooting guides plus how all the how-to's for whatever needs to be fixed.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-21-2010 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's hard to diagnose a problem like this over the net . How many miles on the truck ? Heres a couple of possibilities . Clogged Cat , worn timing chain , Check your vacuum lines from the throttle body . I found some on mine that were in poor shape and may of been effecting my mileage also . The one that I think were really effecting it was the one from the passenger side/front of the throttle body to the firewall and around to the r/f fender . During the winter I was down to 7.6 mpg . It seems to be doing better now . Heres a pic of my throttle body . It's the hose coming right out the front , beside the sensor , with the plastic covering over it .

rph1 09-21-2010 10:33 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, the cat was replaced last year, air filter is a fram but still in good shape, truck has 131,000, the muffler..... i know a few guys that had trucks around the same year and there mufflers were clogged.... so i'm in the process of ordering a new one at the moment.

Danno 09-22-2010 01:09 PM

Someone else mentioned it, but sounds like you need to also double check for good spark. If you've got fuel and air, that's the next thing on the list. Can't hurt to throw in some new plugs unless you just did it.

rph1 09-22-2010 05:47 PM

No plugs yet.... but I was reading Petersons 4WD and Offroad and they put a Screaming Demon kit in a 318. So I emailed the company to see if they made the kit for a 360, which they do......So I was considering that.......Kit comes with a 10mm wires, cap, rotar, and, coil and you have to buy an adapted plug. Anyone have any thoughts or past experience?

http://www.performancedistributors.com/dtrkignition.htm