DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Vibration at idle (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61964)

fitzy6 09-20-2010 06:54 PM

Vibration at idle

I have a 2010 crew cab big horn that has a vibration when I am idle at a stop light. I stop the truck and it is fine for about 5 seconds. Then I can feel a vibration through my seat for a few seconds. It repeats itself on some sort of cycle. Could it be harmonic? Motor mounts? Exhaust? Maybe this is normal behavior?
I took it to the dealership once and they could not find anything wrong. Ideas anyone?
Fyi.... It has done this since I purchased the truck with 6 miles on it... It has a little under 5k now.

SvB4EvA 09-20-2010 07:09 PM

My 2010 quad cab big horn does the same thing. When i first noticed it the radio was up loud, and i turned it down quick, but it had stopped already. The second time I didnt have the radio on and only felt it for a second or 2...

Kind of weird...

BTW, my truck has about 850 miles on it and has done this only twice that I noticed.

BLKSVT 09-20-2010 07:38 PM

Its not your A/C seats is it...

fitzy6 09-20-2010 07:54 PM

Nope... I don't have those. I am really starting to think it's the exhaust system vibrating.

SvB4EvA 09-20-2010 08:04 PM

Me either...

moparornocar72 09-21-2010 12:16 AM

sounds like maybe a u joint going bad? I dunno just my guess. Exhaust seems like it wouldnt be that loud, the stock exhaust is pretty quiet and well hanged. take it to the dealer for some "warranty work"

SvB4EvA 09-21-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moparornocar72 (Post 315278)
sounds like maybe a u joint going bad? I dunno just my guess. Exhaust seems like it wouldnt be that loud, the stock exhaust is pretty quiet and well hanged. take it to the dealer for some "warranty work"

Bad u joint with only 500 miles, i hope not, tho ive seen weirder

I was just thinking, the vibration kinda reminds me of when ABS activates in a car, except a lot more subtle, and the truck isnt moving... :4-dontknow:

MrCrash 09-21-2010 10:06 AM

What RPM is it idling at? Is it idling up and down? My 2008 Dakota would occasionally idle really low and sound like it had a hot cam in it. When it did this, the whole truck kinda shook, and I could watch things in the cup holder shake back and forth. I thought it was kinda fun :)

SvB4EvA 09-21-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCrash (Post 315423)
What RPM is it idling at? Is it idling up and down? My 2008 Dakota would occasionally idle really low and sound like it had a hot cam in it. When it did this, the whole truck kinda shook, and I could watch things in the cup holder shake back and forth. I thought it was kinda fun :)

Not sure about the RPMs when it shakes, it happens so fast and unexpected that I havent looked at anything. I just kinda freeze for a second, and its over.

Not sure if the OPs shaking lasts longer then a second or 2.

fitzy6 09-21-2010 05:48 PM

I actually noticed the rpms shaking slightly