DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks Question - 2010 Ram 4x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62091)

FormerGorilla 09-22-2010 02:35 PM

Bilstein 5100 Leveling Shocks Question - 2010 Ram 4x4

Ordered the Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks for my truck. They should be in by the weekend. Not sure when I will get the time to put them on, but hopefully soon. My question is for those of you who have installed the 5100's (or maybe helped install)... Do you need to separate any ball joints to do the job? By looking at them online it looks like disconnecting the sway bar ends and using a strut compressor would get the struts out of there, but looks can be deceiving via online pics. I will probably pop a wheel off and evaluate the job when they arrive, but I was curious if any 'Ram Vets' on here might have some tips, or could answer that for me. A link with install instructions would be greatly appreciated too if possible. Thanks all!

City Slicker 09-22-2010 03:59 PM

hpc3 installed them on his truck:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....138#post295138

FormerGorilla 09-22-2010 10:10 PM

Thanks a million for that link. Could not find a link to save my life when searching. I replied to hpc3's post on that thread. He mentioned posting an install thread, hoping he'll get back to me soon and post it. Thanks again!!

City Slicker 09-22-2010 10:16 PM

No problem, I hope he gets back to you ASAP :smileup:

brad12kx 09-23-2010 01:29 AM

One thing to consider/remember if you install them yourself. You 'WILL' need a front end alignment after they are installed, especially if you set them to other than the factory height.....which is usually why you would invest in the 5100's. :smileup:

FormerGorilla 09-24-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad12kx (Post 317021)
One thing to consider/remember if you install them yourself. You 'WILL' need a front end alignment after they are installed, especially if you set them to other than the factory height.....which is usually why you would invest in the 5100's. :smileup:

Definitely! I got them in today. They look pretty sweet. I am going to go the 2.1" setting after seeing hpc3's truck. I may attempt it this weekend, and will schedule an alignment early next week. Now I just have to shop for some new rims and rubber, the oem 17's might look a bit small for a while, but I plan to fill out the fenders a little in the coming months. I will have some before and after shots when all is said and done. Thanks!!

FormerGorilla 09-24-2010 10:33 PM

Anyone seen hpc3? :) I was going to try and attempt this tomorrow. How about this... Does anyone know if the strut assembly can be removed from the truck without compressing the spring or popping the upper ball joint loose?

By visual inspection I think dropping the a arm down without loosening anything except the sway bar end-link will work. Of course, a pry bar will definitely be in order. I think it will have enough drop to get the assembly out though. I really don't want to pop that ball joint loose if I can help it... as for the compressing... I don't think it can be done with the assembly still in the truck, not enough room. I know I will need to compress it to get the spring off the coil though.

All help is greatly appreciated!!

semichigan 09-25-2010 11:23 AM

Any news on this?

FormerGorilla 09-25-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semichigan (Post 318918)
Any news on this?

There just really isn't much info on the Bilstein installation, but I know using the Bilsteins is not the most used form of lifting as well, so most may not have a lot of info. Not problem really. I actually priced a local wheel and suspension shop to do the job and they said $150 to install the struts and do the needed alignment. I really thought that was a good deal since shop labor rate are topping $75 in some shops. I scheduled the appt for Tuesday as one post on a different forum said that 6 hours for a shadetree mechanic is the norm... I really would rather pay to have it done I guess based on that. I will post some before and after pics. I can't wait to get it done! Tried to schedule it today, but he denied that pretty quick! :)

FormerGorilla 09-27-2010 01:41 AM

Guys, I'm having some second thoughts on my leveling due to some horror stories I've been reading on here about bad vibration. I do not want vibration, but I also really hate the raked look. Since I'm doing the Bilstein 5100's, I am considering going with the 1.4" setting that the shock provides instead of the 2.1". I am thinking this for 2 reasons actually... 1.4" might still provide a slight rake for towing (which I don't do a lot of, but still do on occasion), and more importantly, it might lessen any chances for the vibration. I need some suggestions here. What do you all think? Should I chance the 2.1" lift or go down a notch to the 1.4" setting?