DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   To those of you with a 2nd Gen...LOOK HERE! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62174)

strang3majik 09-23-2010 07:10 PM

To those of you with a 2nd Gen...LOOK HERE!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you know something I have just been informed of...

I met a guy down here in Florida with a 1998 Dodge Ram with the original dash in perfect shape, not one crack in it.

I just figured he parked it in a garage or something....but no, he said he parks it in his driveway everyday, and he's never had a problem with it.

I was quite amazed at this and asked him what he did to prevent the cracking....and here's what he said, that makes me wish I would have known to do this before mine cracked all to hell....

All the bolts along the windshiel facing back at you...loosen them a little bit...all of them. Just enough so its spaced out a hair from the dash.

He said when he goes around turns and stuff, he has seen the dash actually move a little, but never crack.

So...apparently from the factory, those screws were too tight on a stress point causing the plastic to crack (which is funny, because all my cracks start from those bolt holes).

So...morale of the story... Loosen the dash bolts near the windshield facing back at you on your second gen Ram.

Maybe you can save yours from cracking if it hasn't already!

hemiv8dodgeram1500 09-23-2010 09:45 PM

cool tip :rep: when i can

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-23-2010 10:38 PM

I can say that I've had my dash out twice already . It needs to come out again . But I too have no cracks in my dash . Maybe by my work I have relieved the stress from the factory setup .

strang3majik 09-23-2010 11:27 PM

you may have, Tom. All I know is, I've never seen a dash that wasn't cracked in Florida...hell, my dad's 2003 Ram looks almost as bad as mine...so, for that 98 to be perfect, it was quite amazing to see.

I wish I would've known about it before, though. Mine was perfect just a couple years ago, but, one crack started at the bolt on the right, then, it just spread like wildfire. I just had a chunk break off the other day, so, I've got one hole in it. And the horrible part is, I was going around a turn and heard it crack, and a piece fell down on my feet...not cool.

I just wish they weren't so exspensive. Because, mine is beyond just a cap, since my vin # is dangling by one rivet as it cracked right where the other one connected.

Truly is my only complaint about my truck.

And...hemiv8...do it while you still can :p

hemiv8dodgeram1500 09-23-2010 11:32 PM

my 97s dash is gone LOL its duck taped together if my 08 cracks i might buy a jeep LOL

Airborn3 09-24-2010 01:53 AM

I put the carpet on my dash to cover the cracks. My VIN plate is dangling also majik. Wish I would have known also. :rep:

CajunDodge 09-24-2010 02:03 AM

That is very good info man, thanks for sharing that! I know I would never, in all of the conversations about it, suspected that as the cause and I know a couple folks who could benefit from that, thanks again! :smileup:

- Cajun

wermbang 09-24-2010 09:58 AM

Somehow my dash was replaced by the dealer in 03, under a warranty. Have the paperwork to prove it too.

97ram1500 09-26-2010 05:45 PM

I dont seem to have a problem with my dash at all. i just got the truck its a 1997 and the dash is fine, i checked the bolts and they did seem fairly tight. Not sure why mine hasnt cracked yet, knock on wood though hopefully it wont

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-26-2010 05:49 PM

I'm afraid to touch it now , knowing that this time out may destroy it .