DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Whats goin on (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62350)

69speeder69 09-26-2010 02:50 PM

Whats goin on

My heater hasnt been working and my gauge has been saying about 160 degrees. So i changed my thermostat and now when i turn the heater it will be fairly warm but then go back to just blowing cool air. Not cold air but definetly not warm. I need to get this figured out and solved before winter comes! Any help would be apprectiated.

CajunDodge 09-26-2010 03:03 PM

T-stat would have been my first choice, also, but definitely not right you're running that cool. I'm sure our experts here will have some advice for you on this, but good luck.

- Cajun

69speeder69 09-26-2010 03:43 PM

also after i changed the t stat the guage still stays around the 160 degree area. and i put a 195 t stat in.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 09-26-2010 04:28 PM

Are the heater hoses staying hot to the touch ?

brad12kx 09-26-2010 04:54 PM

Sounds like a combination of things. First off, I would not be too quick to depend on the temp gauge for accuracy. I have always considered those more of a 'cold-normal-hot' gauge.

If your having a heater temperature issue, it is not usually a thermostat problem, but more likely either an air lock in the heater core, or a plugged heater core. If you check the heater hoses (after the trucks been running awhile) for warmth, this a good indication of what's going on. Under normal operation, both hoses should be 'uncomfortably' hot right where they enter/exit the heater core (at firewall). If one is quite warm and other slightly warm, then chances are its an air lock. If both are slightly warm....or cold, then likely the heater core is due for replacement.
You 'Might' be able to get away with a good cooling system flush, and I would recommend this anyway, but if the heater core is so bad that it is plugged, you might as well replace it now, because if the flush opens it up, it's likely going to start leaking in a short while anyway.

Good luck with getting your heater working for winter. No fun driving around in a cold vehicle.

Mtx 09-26-2010 09:32 PM

i was wondering why nobody had said anything about the heater core yet^^^

69speeder69 09-27-2010 04:44 PM

K i will check my heater hoses. also i heard that i could have something to do with the head gasket leaking the way it will get warm and then go back to being cool. Does anybody else know about this or a way (besides pulling the heads off) to check the gaskets.

69speeder69 10-13-2010 09:00 PM

So i still havent found a solution to my problem. I have noticed that i have a slight leak in my radiator. Could this be what is causing my problem

RootBeer 10-13-2010 11:02 PM

The leak in the radiator causing the problem is doubtful. Did you have the system flushed? How are the heater hoses to the touch with the heat on full hot and the engine warmed up?

As for the head gasket idea, check your oil, is is milky? Do you have oil in your radiator? Those are the two prime indications of bad head gaskets.

brad12kx 10-14-2010 12:28 AM

And to add to Rootbeers comments on the head gasket idea, if the head gasket was leaking between he cylinder and cooling system, you would run out of coolant quickly....it will blow it out. In all cases, it is doubtful that it is the cause of your heating problem outside of possibly leading to an air lock in the heater core. So unless you have any of the symptoms Rootbeer mentioned, I would focus on either an air lock, or plugged heater core, or a heater core that is so dirty, it might as well be plugged. :4-dontknow: