DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Best Muffler with MDS (little drone) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62423)

girlyman51 09-27-2010 09:25 AM

Best Muffler with MDS (little drone)

I'm waiting for my 2011 R/T to come in and have been reading about exhaust drone when the MDS kicks in. I want to know which is the best muffler replacement to get some sound and with the littlest drone. I'm just replacing the muffler and leaving the resonaters on. I am looking for some HELP!

CHVYKLR 09-27-2010 09:30 AM

you shouldn't have any problems if you are leaving the resonators on.

autobred 09-27-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlyman51 (Post 320376)
I'm waiting for my 2011 R/T to come in and have been reading about exhaust drone when the MDS kicks in. I want to know which is the best muffler replacement to get some sound and with the littlest drone. I'm just replacing the muffler and leaving the resonaters on. I am looking for some HELP!

I went with the 22" magnaflow (same muffler that comes with the complete catback kit) under Speedfreaks recommendation and absolutely love it! The muffler sound? Rated 1 thru 10 .. as stock being 1 and a super 40 Flowmaster I had in my other truck a 10. Id say the 22" magnaflow a 3 at initial installation, no drone. After 3 weeks burn in about a 4 with no drone. I then took the resonators off after a month.. say my truck is about a 4.5 with a very very slight audible in MDS kicking in and out..where you can just tell its on. But the hemi motor sounds simply awesome, when on it, mostly motor sound..completely satifisfied..just want to share my personal experience with it and good luck with your choice:smiley_thumbs_up: I dont think there is any performance gain in removing the resonators because they flow right thru but just the same they weigh about 10lbs for the pair. Congratulations on the R/T

moparmike07 09-27-2010 02:12 PM

i have no resonators on. i got headers and my magnaflow exhaust sounds great

chithead 09-27-2010 02:16 PM

Congrats on the R/T!!! I hear Magnaflow is one of the best for not getting that MDS drone.

Sad to say, but even with the stock R/T exhaust, I can hear it just a bit when it kicks in at really low speeds.

Juice420 09-27-2010 02:42 PM

Don't forget about Flowmaster! Even though everyone said it would produce some drone, I put one on my 2010 and left the resonators on and it sounds great! The little amount of drone it produces doesn't bother me at all!

jwhitney41 06-09-2014 01:14 PM

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right thread for this post , but here goes;
I have 2014 2500 4x4 Big Horn edition with a 5.7 HEMI.
My questions is this; There is a small, what I am assuming is a muffler about 12" long at the rear of the truck just above the passenger side rear tire. Is this muffler really necessary and can I remove it? I notice a fairly large round muffler underneath and question why there are two mufflers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pull Ya 06-09-2014 02:11 PM

IMHO---After two 4th gen 1500's w/ the 5.7 this has been my experience. If you change the stock muffler when your truck's MDS kicks in, your truck will sound like sh*t! It sounds like your exhaust system is under water. The only way to fix this problem is to; leave the stock muffler on, buy a tuner and turn the MDS off, keep your truck from going into overdrive, or turn up the radio so you can't hear it. You can spend as much money for a new muffler system as you like but I'm afraid you will get the same results. They all sound good----before the MDS kicks in. This is just my experience, I'm sure there are others that have no complaints.
Jay

sunshdw 06-09-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juice420 (Post 320596)
Don't forget about Flowmaster! Even though everyone said it would produce some drone, I put one on my 2010 and left the resonators on and it sounds great! The little amount of drone it produces doesn't bother me at all!

This!! I, too, went the Flowmaster route and I really like the sound. The drone is minimal with the MDS and loud when you stomp on it. :smileup:

Jayincali 06-09-2014 05:08 PM

Holy 4 year thread revival Batman

I just installed a Magnaflow 22" muffler and it is perfect. I had a 2011 with the 14' Maggy and it droned when MDS kicked in at cruising speed. The Slowmasters, sorry, Flowmasters drone just as bad, besides; I would rather have the straight thru design instead of the chambers like the stock muffler.

Now that I have the 2014, I wanted a nice deep rumble, yet no drone so I went with the 22" and LOVE it, absolutely ZERO drone. The wife loves it as well; she liked my other muffler, but hated the reverberation the other muffler gave off while on the highway.