DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   2008 Ram 1500 QC - System Planning Questions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62653)

vabch22 09-30-2010 03:41 PM

2008 Ram 1500 QC - System Planning Questions

Hey guys,

Need some input from the pros and everyone else. :) I've been running stock w/ a 7 speaker infinity system (non-nav) because I didn't want to loose the free Sirius, but miss having a quality system.

I mostly listen to rock and some techno/hip hop/industrial. This project will be done in chunks, so here's what I was thinking.

Phase 1 - Replace HU and front speakers running of 4 chan amp.
  • Do I need the PAC Canbus adapter (C2r-CHY4) or can I just use the Merta amp bypass harness (70-6504)?
Phase 2 - Add some mid-bass/bass in the rear doors (maybe a 6 1/2 driver if it will fit)
  • Any suggestions for this?
  • Should I even worry about it or just wait until I can do a sub?
Phase 3 - Add a single 10" or two 10"s and sound proof the floors and doors
  • Plan on getting a custom box and putting it on the 60 split side of the rear seat.
  • Rear channel of amp bridged to power sub (maybe a 5 channel amp instead or separate amp later)
HU:

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Fronts:

Option #1 CXS62 V.2 - Image Dynamics 6.5" 2 ohm Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7173/CXS62-V2--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-ohm-Component-System.htm

Option #2 UR6S - DLS 6.5" Ultimate Reference 2-Way Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9184/UR6S--DLS-65"-Ultimate-Reference-2Way-Component-System.htm

Option #3 PC3.65C - Precision Power 6.5" Power Class Series 3 Way Component System http://www.woofersetc.com/p9224/PC365C--Precision-Power-65"-Power-Class-Series-3-Way-Component-System.htm

Also looking at some Focal's and Rainbow's (various models)

Rears:

None - maybe some 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 mid-bass/sub woofers if they will fit and it's worth the effort/cost

Subs:

Still looking into subs with a shallow mounting depth of less than 6"

Amps:

JL Audio XD or HD series amp depending on build. Build will also determine 4 channel, 5 channel, or two separate amps.
  • Located under drivers seat (option 1)
  • Mounted under the rear seat on the 40 side if I only do the 1 sub option
Also have heard good things about the IA 6.4 digital amp. This is an option for $400.

Let me know what ya'll think or best routes to go. I think that's it, getting side tracked at work. Thanks!

StoneyWV 10-01-2010 09:01 AM

Great System plan you have

I really like the ID's for the front. I just like the manufacturer and haven't seen or heard anything bad from them yet.
The new Alpine shallow mount Type R's are getting great reviews and can be placed in a really small enclosure. They are rated for about .5-.75 for the 12 inch model. My RE SRX is pretty shallow mounting depth as well for full size 12inch model sub.
Sounds like you have it planned out nicely. I would probably add some low powered rear fill speakers run off the deck for fill.
That JL amp should fit under the drivers seat to save some space.

moparmike07 10-01-2010 10:42 AM

You want a flip out. My friends got that in his ram he said he didn't like the whole flip out. With a double that what I going to do in my 07 ram. Just haven't figure out what HU I want. But its up to you that sounds like a good list

vabch22 10-01-2010 11:16 AM

I didn't want a flip out, but didn't want to have to buy a new bezel for a double din, and then the cost was more. Amazon had 30% off Pioneer products, so I got the 5200bt for $300 which was the same I was looking spending for the Kenwood, but got a DVD screen so why not? Plus it has an 8 band EQ. I am for sure buying an extended warranty due to the fact it is motorized and flip out.. who knows what will break.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Kenwood x994 which is an awesome unit, but then saw the Pio so I figured I'd give it a shot. I've never had a flip out, so if it's terrible, I'll sell it and go with the Kenwood.

StoneyWV 10-01-2010 03:51 PM

I've installed two flip up units in cars and they are both over two years now with no issues. I think you will be fine.

vabch22 10-19-2010 05:54 PM

Ok so I've decided on a RF T1500-bdCP amp for the two 12" IDQ subs. I will be using an old OPTI 4X400D amp for the front CXS62 comps w/ no rear fill currently.

Will 4awg power and ground be ok for this? For the dist. block, should I do 4awg to 4awg out to the amps?

Also, I was going to do 14 or 16awg for the front speakers and 12awg for the subs.

dodgeman70592 10-19-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabch22 (Post 338484)
Ok so I've decided on a RF T1500-bdCP amp for the two 12" IDQ subs. I will be using an old OPTI 4X400D amp for the front CXS62 comps w/ no rear fill currently.

Will 4awg power and ground be ok for this? For the dist. block, should I do 4awg to 4awg out to the amps?

Also, I was going to do 14 or 16awg for the front speakers and 12awg for the subs.

I would run 2 ga into ditro, 4 ga to the RF and 8 ga to the Opti...

Speaker wires look good to me, that's what I run..

colingibb 10-20-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vabch22 (Post 323063)
Hey guys,

Need some input from the pros and everyone else. :) I've been running stock w/ a 7 speaker infinity system (non-nav) because I didn't want to loose the free Sirius, but miss having a quality system.

I mostly listen to rock and some techno/hip hop/industrial. This project will be done in chunks, so here's what I was thinking.

Phase 1 - Replace HU and front speakers running of 4 chan amp.
  • Do I need the PAC Canbus adapter (C2r-CHY4) or can I just use the Merta amp bypass harness (70-6504)?
Phase 2 - Add some mid-bass/bass in the rear doors (maybe a 6 1/2 driver if it will fit)
  • Any suggestions for this?
  • Should I even worry about it or just wait until I can do a sub?
Phase 3 - Add a single 10" or two 10"s and sound proof the floors and doors
  • Plan on getting a custom box and putting it on the 60 split side of the rear seat.
  • Rear channel of amp bridged to power sub (maybe a 5 channel amp instead or separate amp later)
HU:

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Fronts:

Option #1 CXS62 V.2 - Image Dynamics 6.5" 2 ohm Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7173/CXS62-V2--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-ohm-Component-System.htm

Option #2 UR6S - DLS 6.5" Ultimate Reference 2-Way Component System
http://www.woofersetc.com/p9184/UR6S--DLS-65"-Ultimate-Reference-2Way-Component-System.htm

Option #3 PC3.65C - Precision Power 6.5" Power Class Series 3 Way Component System http://www.woofersetc.com/p9224/PC365C--Precision-Power-65"-Power-Class-Series-3-Way-Component-System.htm

Also looking at some Focal's and Rainbow's (various models)

Rears:

None - maybe some 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 mid-bass/sub woofers if they will fit and it's worth the effort/cost

Subs:

Still looking into subs with a shallow mounting depth of less than 6"

Amps:

JL Audio XD or HD series amp depending on build. Build will also determine 4 channel, 5 channel, or two separate amps.
  • Located under drivers seat (option 1)
  • Mounted under the rear seat on the 40 side if I only do the 1 sub option
Also have heard good things about the IA 6.4 digital amp. This is an option for $400.

Let me know what ya'll think or best routes to go. I think that's it, getting side tracked at work. Thanks!

Once my Free Sirius expired, I bought a new head unit, and subscribed to Sirius for the regular 12.95/month price. I then called about a week later to cancel, because I was disappointing with the sound quality, and they offered me a price of $20 for 5 months -- that's $4/month. I can live with that, and it's worth it to be able to have a new H/U.
For reference I replaced by 1.5 DIN Stock H/U with a Clarion nx500 with both the HD Radio and Sirius Add-ons. (Got these for free with the $50 gift card that came with the NX500 and then $100 gift card I got back because they reduced the price by $100 right after I bought it). I am very happy with this Setup

vabch22 10-29-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgeman70592 (Post 338500)
I would run 2 ga into ditro, 4 ga to the RF and 8 ga to the Opti...

Speaker wires look good to me, that's what I run..

Great, thanks for the info. I was looking through your build log, very nice. I am going to run two 4 awg wire to both amps. I will use a dist block when I add a 3rd amp for my 4" dash speakers.

On that note, all you people who have done the research/trial/error already... I have my ID woofers in the doors. Questions:

1. For best staging, should I place the tweeters in the pillars or leave them in the doors next to the woofer?

2. I plan adding ID CTX 4" speakers to the dash and running on a separate amp. What is the best way to do this so I don't screw up the imaging/sound/staging?

dodgeman70592 10-29-2010 02:45 PM

Keep the tweets for the components within 8" or so from the woofer..

Adding dash speakers and getting the correct imaging can be tricky, best bet is to bandpass the dash speakers by using the HP filter off the amp and addin inductors to the speakers. Before you go too far, try the system with the comps first, you may like it. Adding more drivers can become a headache...