DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Is this true (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62740)

jimmy14 10-01-2010 08:27 PM

Is this true

My son's truck needs a transmission, and a guy is telling me he has one that will work, but it is out of a different generation truck. It is automatic, and so is the possible donor. I have no intention of changing to a manual. Here are the particulars:

My son's truck: 1996 Ram, 5.2, 4 wheel drive
The possible donor: Late 80's Ram, 5.2, 2 wheel drive

I understand that the tailcone will need to be swapped to the one on the truck because of the transfer case, and it appears they will match. I did a real quick eyeball comparison and the main difference appears to be the brackets, but it appears they will be able to be swapped over. The lines and plugs look similar.
Hopefully, somebody on the forum with experience can help me with this. I looked online and found that Dodge has used similar components for years, but I would like to ask smarter folks before starting.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-01-2010 10:22 PM

Is he installing it or are you ? If hes doing it , have at it . If it doesn't work , it's his baby .

jimmy14 10-03-2010 05:15 PM

I am doing the installing, but I can just give it back if it doesn't work. I was just hoping to someone could confirm or deny what he is saying. It appears the basic design is the same, but the big question is whether the 96 uses electronic control or not and whether the xmsn is equipped the same. In my quick look a couple days ago, the wire harness and plug look the same. The speedo hookup is different, but the comes off the tailshaft that will stay with the truck, so that should be no biggie.

Okiespaniels 10-04-2010 09:56 PM

Similar but different. I don't know of anyone who has done such a swap.
Although the trannies have the same parentage, I'm not sure how the flexplates will work, starter engagement, even balancing. Do 80's trannies have an overdrive?
I would consult a salvage yards Mitchell manual and see what it says.

jimmy14 10-11-2010 06:23 PM

OK, so this is definitly NOT true. There is an electrical connector on the top that is not on the older one, and the body of the newer one has a larger circumfrence, leading to the tailshaft/T-case mount being completely different. Not a biggie since the tranny had to come out anyway.
With that being said, I now need to find a tranny. Based on research, I think it is a 46RE, but would like to know if someone can confirm that.
Finally, if anyone knows where one of these is that is inexpensive, please let me know. My son is at college, and I am tired of his truck sitting here and listening to him. The problem is that he doesn't have a bunch of money sitting around, and I can't just bankroll this for him.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jim

96RamC 10-20-2010 02:53 AM

Yes, it most likely has the 46RE you should be able to check the underhood tag where it says the paintcode, engine size, etc etc to confirm it.. And truthfully I would rebuild it with a shift kit if I were you... Cheaper in the end run.. Rebuilds usually range to the 600-1k mark, and new transmission usually run around 1.4k mark here in my area