DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Other Vehicle Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Drove the 2011 F-150's today,,, (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62803)

HoustonHemi 10-02-2010 10:33 PM

Drove the 2011 F-150's today,,,

The "F-150 Challenge" came to Houston today to the Sam Houston Race Park. (Dog Track)

"Sneak Peek" at the '11's,,, (www dot drivef150 dot com)

Grand total, they had close to 60 of 'em there,,,

You sign up online or at the gate and you could drive 'em.

Towing demo's with trailers, 'cone course' , side by side 'drag racing' with christmas tree and timing lights (just under 1/8th mile)

I drove the 5.0, the 3.7, and the 3.5 Ecoboost. (They had a 6.2 "Harley" truck there as as well.)

The 5.0 seemed to chirp the tires the best off the line,,, did have some wheel hop,,, The Ecoboost is slightly faster than the 5.0 and pulls good throughout the whole RPM range,,,,

The N/A 3.7 did remarkably well,,, better than expected.

The 5.0 is about a $1,300 upgrade from the 3.7 V-6, and the Ecoboost is $750 more than the 5.0. For $750 more than the 5.0, there would be no doubt in my mind thast I would go with the twin-turbo's.

In the 'cone course', they did pretty good with very limited body roll. Felt 'solid'. Electric powered rack and pinion. Very smooth.

Will I run right out and buy one when they hit the showrooms in 2 months???? Very Doubtful., My lil RCSB HEMI RAM is doing 'quite nicely', and
I'm not real fond of the Fords appearance,,, The hood is just plain thugly when compared to the 4th Gen RAMS. The rear leaf suspension is just not as smooth as the RAMS, either,,,

BUT, for the type of driving that I do, and what I do with my RAM, the twin turbo V-6 engine 'concept' is very appealing, especially when it will out tow, out HP, and get better fuel economy than the 5.0

All in all, it was 'fun', and if you get a chance to do 'The Challenge', go check it out.

RansRAM 10-02-2010 10:36 PM

Cool, nothing wrong with checking out the competition. :LOL:

HoustonHemi 10-02-2010 10:44 PM

It was quite a 'production',,,, would be nice if all MFG's would do the same.

iRESQu 10-02-2010 10:56 PM

Very fair and arbitrary view. Nice write-up, thank you!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-03-2010 12:37 AM

Good info . Next time call them out with the Ram .

drivehard27 10-03-2010 01:06 AM

dodge has done stuff like that before i did one here at p.i.r when they were bringing the new ram out only dodge owners were invited they had all the same stuff going on that you were just talking about

RootBeer 10-03-2010 01:11 AM

Good write up. Did you apologize to your Ram before touching it with phord germs on your hands?

HoustonHemi 10-03-2010 01:32 AM

LMAO on the phord germs!!! =)

My RAM wasn't too upset about all this,,, I've been EVIC'ing 20 MPG on highway trips lately,,, Running great and does everything I need it to do,,, It knows it won't be 'kicked out' of the garage any time soon!!!!

Interesting on the previous Dodge demo's and Dodge owners being invited,,,

The wife has pretty much decided she wants a 2011 mustang w/ the 300 HP, 30 MPG 3.7V-6. (Same 'general' design as the 3.7 in the '11 F150's) We were down to the Ford Dealer researching her 'potential next car', and he gave us the info on the 2011 Truck Demo's,,,

Would never have known otherwise,,,

HoustonHemi 10-03-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 (Post 324920)
Good info . Next time call them out with the Ram .

I was wondering if they would have let me 'line up' with the F150's at the christmas tree,,,,

They had a 4 dr HEMI RAM there, but who knows what rear diff it had,,,

I doubt they went out and bought one with a 3.92 or lower,,, If I was 'Ford' I would have looked for a 3.21 to make the 150's 'look better' in performance.

Don't believe any of the 150's had 20 inch tires like the RAM did,,,

Have no idea what gears were in the Fords,,,

Kinda hard to get a true 'apples to apples' comparo on anything, no matter who the MFG.

CajunDodge 10-03-2010 07:02 AM

Good writeup there. I agree, nothing wrong with checking out the competition then getting back in your Ram and driving a real truck! Does sound like fun though and you're right, wish all the manufacturers would do that!

- Cajun