DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   O/D on or off?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63278)

BigOrange 10-09-2010 12:37 PM

O/D on or off??

Is it bad to do City/HWY driving with the O/D off?

Also, whats the difference between TOW/HAUL & O/D Off?

RootBeer 10-09-2010 02:26 PM

Driving in the city with O/D off is no big deal. For that matter same goes for the hiway. O/D lowers the rpm you'll run at on the hiway and improves mpg.

Tow/haul is basically O/D off. When you push the Tow/Haul button making the light come on your dash, you are turning the O/D off.

erm 10-09-2010 03:25 PM

I like running around town with O/D Off. The truck responds better and you aren't lugging the engine. No harm in running that way around town.

Tow Haul means the O/D is off. I notice when I am in Tow Haul mode, it kicks down nicely and keeps pulling compared to O/D off, which definitely runs at a higher RPM all the time.

BigOrange 10-09-2010 03:45 PM

Cool, Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I figured.... when I have the O/D on, it seems the tranny can't decide if it wants to stay in 4th or 5th gear anyways. The added throttle response is a bonus too!

moparmanicac 10-10-2010 02:44 AM

Ive been meaning to ask if tow/haul is the same as o/d off my last 4.7 just had o/d off and every truck ive ever driven deff has a little more life on the low end in o/d off I also believe I pull a little better mpgs around town w o/d off or tow/haul

RumbleRam 10-22-2010 08:19 PM

o/d off gets rid of your overdrive gear, tow/haul keeps your overdrive gear but kicks up engine RPM's both are pretty much the same though in a overall perspective

05qc 10-23-2010 05:30 PM

is it bad to drive around with the tow/haul selected if not towing? and how specifically does it work?

RootBeer 10-23-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05qc (Post 341416)
is it bad to drive around with the tow/haul selected if not towing? and how specifically does it work?

No it is not bad to do that. In fact some recommend it for around town driving.

It will decrease your mpg while driving on the highway though. In town no difference.

It is an electronic OD is all.

05qc 10-25-2010 09:32 PM

that's what i figured. trucks are new to me so i wasn't sure.

nanney1 11-02-2010 09:28 AM

O.K. a couple of questions about the O/D off. At what speeds are we talking about where it would help?

I do a good bit of driving on rural roads where the speed limit is 45 mph. Would this be an application for O/D off? Ocassionally, the limit will drop to 35 and sometimes go up to 55. I don't do any stop and go city driving.

At what point is it better to run with O/D on? 55 mph, 60, 65????

Also, should you be at a complete stop to switch from O/D on to O/D off? I know it can be done on the fly, but is it harmful for the tranny to be driving with O/D off at 55 mph and switch to O/D as I approach highway cruising speeds. Or vice versa... I go from 65 mph down to a 45 mph zone and switch to O/D off.