DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   Other Vehicle Discussion (
-   -   Blue needs new tires, advice? (

BlueJet 10-12-2010 04:51 PM

Blue needs new tires, advice?
I work next to a Goodyear store and know some of the guys. They have done her oil change in the past and I trust them. Talked to my guy there today and I have been advised to get the Wrangler. Only catch is the size Blue has is discontinued so I would have to go with a bigger tire. Her stock tires are 235/65/17. The Wrangler tire would be 235/70/17. Other suggested tire is the Wrangler SR-A. What do you guys think?
Wrangler on left, SR-A on right
Wrangler tread on left, SR-A on right

GPSHSLAX 10-12-2010 05:11 PM

That's only about 1" overall difference in diameter so I'm not sure there is much concern there. I like the appearance of Wrangler better personally, and it shoudl get you more grip in snow.

chithead 10-12-2010 05:13 PM

If Blue absolutely HAS to wear Goodyear shoes... my vote goes towards the SR-A

Goodyear TIres Wrangler SR-A

GTyankee 10-12-2010 05:20 PM

keep Blue happy :)
Wrangler SR-A(Highway All-Season)
Highway All-Season light truck tires are for drivers who want a combination of pleasant on-road characteristics, long wear and all-season versatility, including traction in light snow. Highway All-Season tires branded with the M+S symbol are often used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on 2WD and 4WD, light- and medium-duty vans, trucks and pickups, as well as crossover and sport utility vehicles.

O.E. Highway All-Season light truck tires are typically purchased as direct replacements for worn-out pairs/sets of the vehicle’s original tires. They can also be used for other vehicle applications in complete sets of four or axle pairs if available in an appropriate size, load range and speed rating to match the existing O.E. tires’ performance category and specifications.

BlueJet 10-12-2010 05:21 PM

Daniel, I had my heart set on BF Goodrich. Is there something bad about Goodyear? I am only leaning towards them because they are close and dad wants to take her to Walmart for tires. Not going there!

wermbang 10-12-2010 05:39 PM

The guy I bought my tires from, who is a goodyear wholesaler, recommended I get these.
Mine are of course bigger and heavier duty, but the traction is great in rain and snow. and its a quit ride.

Here is the list of all tires available in your size

RootBeer 10-12-2010 05:41 PM

Blue, I personally like Michelin X-radial LTs. Always had good wear and great for all kinds of driving, winter and summer.

BlueJet 10-12-2010 05:49 PM

One of the reasons I am leaning towards the Wranglers is because I live on a gravel road. Last winter we had a real problem with the road failing, mud, getting stuck......I need tread that can cut through it.

GTyankee 10-12-2010 05:50 PM

Walmart does not stock those tires, but, they can be shipped to the store with free shipping

compare the prices, your tire store against theirs, thats the only reason for this reply

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-12-2010 06:08 PM

Check out Tire Rack Stacey . They have a rather large selection of tires . You don't need to buy from them but they are a excellent source of information . You can also read reviews on different makes and models of tires . They do sell BadYears also . GoodYear tires are not a favorite of mine . You can definitely do better purchasing something else and get more for your money .