DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   2009 Ram - Can you have 2 sets of TPMS's? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63636)

dubsteve 10-13-2010 10:51 PM

2009 Ram - Can you have 2 sets of TPMS's?

So I need to put on snow tires for the winter and have the TPMS, so does anyone know if you can have 2 different sets of TPMS programmed at the same time.

Basically I want to purchase a second set of wheels and tires and TPMS's.
Have the dealer program the second set of TPMS's and then swap them at the end of the winter season without having to go back and have the truck re programmed each time.

Anyone else done this?

*** ALSO - Found this on TireRack re the TPMS's they supply:

The vehicle will automatically learn the tire pressure sensors after driving for more than ten minutes above 20 mph. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS warning lights will stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

Is this true???

RootBeer 10-13-2010 10:53 PM

The truck will recognize the tires that are actually on it. Shouldn't be a problem.

chithead 10-13-2010 10:54 PM

I believe once they are programmed to the truck, yes. Once you put them on, you will probably have to drive it for about 15 minutes before the light goes off though.

dubsteve 10-14-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chithead (Post 333845)
I believe once they are programmed to the truck, yes. Once you put them on, you will probably have to drive it for about 15 minutes before the light goes off though.

So does that mean they need to be programmed first, or it will recognize new ones automatically?

RamTech 10-14-2010 04:01 PM

Sensor ID numbers have to be programmed into the WIN/WCM. Only one set can be programmed at a time. If the inflation pressures are correct at the time of programming, the light will not come on.

dubsteve 10-14-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 334242)
Sensor ID numbers have to be programmed into the WIN/WCM. Only one set can be programmed at a time. If the inflation pressures are correct at the time of programming, the light will not come on.

So basically, every time I would want to change my wheels between winter and summer I would have to go back to the dealer to get them re-programmed?

MTtruckr 10-14-2010 06:18 PM

I had my new wheels on for only a few days before I had to take them off, but I had different TPMS on them and didn't have any lights or anything.

09Ramfiveo 10-15-2010 11:25 AM

I have had the light on in my truck for about 6 months now. I drive on the beach and air down and up alot. I have done everything to get the light to turn off and it just keeps coming back. Mine have yet to reset and the dealer says that if i drive for 10 minutes or so, they will. good luck with them if you change wheels, i wish i could get the warning light to turn off. If the dealer cant turn it off, how do I?

erm 10-15-2010 11:33 AM

What I'd do, and it is correct that once the TPMS sensor loses contact with the computer they need to re-program them but you can do that by just putting the wheels and tires on the truck and drive it, is to get a set of TPMS sensors that operate at the same frequency as your stockers and have them put in your winter wheels.

98DodgeGuy 10-05-2011 02:05 PM

Multiple TPMS sensors

My 2008 Ram 1500 requires no dealership involvement in TPMS ID code learning.

As the vehicle drives down the road, any sensors that are within range of the receivers have their ID codes memorized.

I picked up a brand new set of rims with new aftermarket sensors, and found that by the time I drove back into town, the truck had already memorized the new codes. They were sitting in the pickup box (within range of the receivers) for the trip back.

When I swapped over to the new tires/wheels immediately afterwards, I didn't receive a single TPMS error message.

So long as you've matched the proper frequencies (315 MHz for trucks up to and including 2008, and 433 MHz for trucks after 2008) your dodge will automatically learn the ID codes for ANY new sensors if they are within range for a certain length of time while driving (good luck finding an import that does this).

The dealership can do this procedure manually, but it's totally unnecessary.