DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Cutouts and warranties? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63755)

MidwestJ 10-15-2010 08:21 PM

Cutouts and warranties?

Do cutouts affect your engine in any way?

Interested in this mod but don't want to damage my engine in any way or have warranty service issues.

please advise.
Thanks

erm 10-15-2010 09:14 PM

Cutouts create a small incremental improvement in top end but don't do you much good down low at launch. In fact they can be detrimental as you will lose some exhaust back pressure and low end torque as a result.

The warranty issue is fairly vague but the bottom line is that if you modify something on your vehicle, and that modification fails and damages another system; warranty will not cover the repair.

ScatPak07 10-15-2010 09:28 PM

Yea what Maddog said! If your mod is the culprit they will not cover you

RamTech 10-16-2010 08:09 AM

As long as they're installed after the converters, I don't think it will be a big deal but you might want to get your dealers input first.

rdsabin 10-16-2010 10:10 AM

I don't know what State you are from but in MN they are illegal to have on your vehicle. You may want to check that before going through the expense of installation.

MidwestJ 10-16-2010 06:05 PM

thanks for the replies fellows.

I'm in Missouri-don't think it'd be a problem down here. Still undecided if I'll do it.

RootBeer 10-16-2010 06:16 PM

Depends on where in MO you're at. In St Louis they have pretty stiff emissions and vehicle standards.

mikeoxlong 10-16-2010 07:04 PM

I know I'm an idiot, but would someone explain exactly what a "cut-out" is? I did an internet search, and it looks like it's something mounted before your muffler that you can open to blow air straight out from your headers. Is that accurate?

RootBeer 10-16-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeoxlong (Post 335913)
I know I'm an idiot, but would someone explain exactly what a "cut-out" is? I did an internet search, and it looks like it's something mounted before your muffler that you can open to blow air straight out from your headers. Is that accurate?

Cutouts open the exhaust straight out, usually before the cat. It is a valve the driver can operate. Usually put on headers.

MidwestJ 10-17-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeoxlong (Post 335913)

yes that is pretty accurate. You're not an idiot for asking either.