DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Factory Engine Block Heater / Remote Start (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63774)

10ramisport 10-16-2010 05:56 AM

Factory Engine Block Heater / Remote Start

I have a couple of questions regarding these:

1. Engine heater (first time ever using one of these)- The owners manual doesn't specify how to use this. Do I just plug it in the outlet and leave it? Is there any time limitation to have it plugged in? Will having it plugged in too long damage anything?

2. Remote start- Now I've been using this every morning getting ready for work with no issues. My question is: If the engine block heater has been plugged in all night, can I activate the remote start to warm up the truck with the heater still plugged in w/o damaging anything? Will I be able to unplug the heater with the engine running or does it have to be off to unplug?

Its getting really cold here in Alaska and want to use both at the same time.

Thanks for any inputs.

RamTech 10-16-2010 08:53 AM

Just plug it in and leave it until you're ready to go. There's no time limit on it or anything like that. You can use the remote start with the hearter still plugged in and you can unplug it at any time with the engine off or on.

Talayoe 10-16-2010 12:01 PM

Just dont forget to unplug it before you drive away! Done this a few times (thankfully not with meh Dodge yet!). Usually the only block heater cord gets damaged if you are lucky, but it can damage the connection as well.

Have fun freezing!

10ramisport 10-16-2010 01:06 PM

RamTech,
Just the answers I was looking for. Much appreciated!

Talayoe,
Yeah, I need to remember to unpug it. Maybe a reminder on the rearview mirror.

AKFossil 10-16-2010 02:42 PM

The Trick is to use lighted cords, and ensure you gotta walk over them to get to your truck It helps grab your attention as you are doing the cold death march to your truck.

To help keep my electric bills low I put timers on my outlets which turn on 2 hours prior to me leaving for work. Some places in Fairbanks have actually switches in their houses from outside plug in.

I know they say plug in when its below 20F (its a environmental thing), but I typically wait till its closer to 0F.

awful knawful 10-17-2010 05:18 AM

Yep same here. I've got mine on an outdoor timer, comes on at 2:30 am so it's warmed up for 4:30 am when I need it.

HEMI5150 10-17-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awful knawful (Post 336286)
Yep same here. I've got mine on an outdoor timer, comes on at 2:30 am so it's warmed up for 4:30 am when I need it.

:smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup::smil eup::smileup:
Thats fuggin awesome...!!!!!!!! Who woulda thought using a timer...!!!!
Just simply fuggin AWESOME....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehehe
:smileup:I love this site...!!!!!!!:smileup:

AKFossil 10-17-2010 01:16 PM

Oh yea one more thing, if you can afford it. Use Synthetic Oil in your truck its way easier on your engine for cold starts.

dustin72 10-17-2010 04:10 PM

There is one thing I found out when using my block heater. If you don't have your hood completely closed, your remote start won't work. The first time I plugged my heater in, I had the hood only closed one click to allow the cord to come through. No remote start in the morning.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 10-17-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKFossil (Post 336435)
Oh yea one more thing, if you can afford it. Use Synthetic Oil in your truck its way easier on your engine for cold starts.

Agreed . I use Amsoil and it stays fluid like down to 60 below zero .