DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   How much lift do I have (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63908)

wulfgar 10-18-2010 12:47 AM

How much lift do I have

Hey every one. This is my first ram and my first 4x4. Trying to figure out how much lift I have. In the rear I have a block under my leaf springs that measures 6 1/2 inchs and in the front I can't see any thing that would lift it. I just recently replaced my track bar with a stock replacement. I have a few more questions about my truck that I need answers to. I'll ask later one at a time. Lol I have photos but can't upload them from my iPhone. I'll be on my lappy later on if they will help. Thanks guys. Almost forgot I'm running stock 16" wheels with 305/70 R16's

wulfgar 10-18-2010 01:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here are the pics

96DodgeRam1500 10-18-2010 10:24 PM

u have a 1500 right?

ScatPak07 10-18-2010 10:48 PM

If you have a 6 1/2 block in the rear then you should have around a 5" lift in the front. I say this since you still have some rake in the stance. The rear is usually around 2" taller than the front and it looks like you still have the stock stance. Thats my guess I am not sure. That is one big block in the rear haha, NICE!

96DodgeRam1500 10-18-2010 10:58 PM

looks like to me like your front is stock height and someone put them blocks in the rear. I havent seen a 4x4 set with that much of a rake stock. Instead of having a 2" difference like most you have like a 4" difference. lol.. which aint bad cuz that means you just gotta do the front. Seems like the previous owner added blocks off a dually. A good cheap way to get 3" or so for your front is find some Cummins 2500 4x4 coil springs. Should be a simple swap and it should level you out..

96DodgeRam1500 10-18-2010 11:00 PM

Oh yea and if you go with the 2500 4x4 coil springs be sure to stay in the 2nd gen style.. and it dont have to be a cummins.. it can be a gas burner. aslong as its a 2500 or 3500 4x4.

wulfgar 10-20-2010 10:38 AM

thanks for the reply s. yeah it has alot of rake and my leaf springs are flat.i was wanting to but 2500 leafs in the back. if i do put 2500 springs in the front am i gonna have to get an diff track bar and with the 2500 springs all the way around will i have to get new shocks. thank

Okiespaniels 10-20-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfgar (Post 339119)
thanks for the reply s. yeah it has alot of rake and my leaf springs are flat.i was wanting to but 2500 leafs in the back. if i do put 2500 springs in the front am i gonna have to get an diff track bar and with the 2500 springs all the way around will i have to get new shocks. thank

Couple/three things you should probably be aware of here...

You'll get maximum lift out of 2500 Cummins springs, because the diesel is about 500 lbs+ more than a gas engine weighs. You should also expect a horrible ride because there is no "preload" to your suspension. Your handling on washboard roads will be skittish even with new shocks.
Your track bar will be ok, but you should be aware that you'll get about 3 inches of lift from those Cummins springs, and that will move your axle back and offset it under the truck about 3/4 of an inch or more.
Since most 2500 leaf springs are 3 inches wide, you are also going to have to change your front and rear hangers out on your 1500 as it has only 2 1/2 inch wide leafs

EDIT: To me, the truck doesnt appear to be that raked. Your truck came with a 3 inch block from the factory, and the previous owner replaced it with a 6 inch block so he only lifted your rear 3 inches.
Try posting a CLEAR pic of your front coil, especially at the top.

96DodgeRam1500 10-20-2010 10:27 PM

Okiespaniels covered it pretty good.. ive heard of a couple people swapping out springs but they never said anything about swapping hangers. but it sounds right... as for shocks you would def need to change them out but only the ones in front if your on a budget since the rear has already been done. You may be able to get by just a little while on the same shocks on the front but you would want to replace them as soon as you got the chance.

wulfgar 10-21-2010 11:30 AM

Thanks. Well I do alot of back roading so I hit alot of washboards. I don't want the ride to be ruff it is ruff enough. Pretty sure the front shocks are shot ESP the buschings. Think I'll just replace the rear springs with 1500's. Been looking at rancho 9000 series. Buy I really don't know what I really need.