DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   AT3030 review (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=63973)

GPSHSLAX 10-18-2010 05:38 PM

AT3030 review

So, I've had my 3030 installed for a couple weeks now and thought I would write a review to help those whom might be interested. To review I had the AT3030 (not the 3030XL) installed and had the resonator deleted similtaneously.

First impressions, I thought it was a little loud at first and almost slightly metalic in nature. I don't know how much exhaust breaks in but I would say it has almost mellowed a bit and is therefore more to my likeing. It is also possible the my ears "broke in" to the muffler a bit as well.

The one drawback I've noticed so far is that there is a bit of drone between about 30 - 45mph, peaking at 40. When it occurs (I think either only in OD1, or when the torque convertor locks up, but not sure which) it's very annoying and I find myself speeding up to reach 45 where it dissappears. I've not tried hitting the Tow/Haul button or playing with the tranny rocker switch yet but I'll give that a shot soon too.

On the upside, for the limited highway driving I've done the sound is very tolerable (not really loud at all once I'm up to speed) and there is no drone at that speed (leads me to belive the other drone is not related to the torque convertor). I've not driven enough yet really report on any milage effects.

I do feel as though I have a bit more power but, as we all know, a meaner sounding trucks has some psychosomatic affect as well. I have no real world number to support this, but the essentially straight through construction of this muffler supports the idea of better air flow.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, and while I would have like to have done a larger exhaust overhaul, I feel this was a very cost effective step.

If anyone is considering this muffler and has questions feel free.

GPSHSLAX 10-30-2010 05:37 PM

Punching the Tow/Haul button does cure the drone. I must recommend not punching it while accelerating though, I did at one point today and the tranny clunked pretty good when it suddenly shifted.

GPSHSLAX 11-19-2010 06:08 PM

So ... as per my other post, it turned out the muffler was installed with 2.5" rather than 3" pipe. I took it back to the shop that installed it and complained. They redid the installation with proper pipe at no charge.

I'm posting this again because the tone of the properly installed 3030 is a bit deeper than it was before, and ultimately more pleasing to me. Also, perhaps more importantly, the drone I had between 30-40 mph before is almost entirely gone now! It's barely audable right at 40mph, but to be honest I probably only notice because I know when to listen for it. If it had been installed right the first time I might not have noticed at all. I've not been out on the freeway with it yet, so I hope no other drone crops up at higher speeds, but I don't expect it too.

I like this muffler before, even better now.

916Timmy 12-09-2010 10:26 AM

Nice write up! I am looking at the 3030xl for my 2010 hemi. I would love to see a video if you could pull it off! Youtube is very slim for new gen truks and 3030 mufflers! :)

4pnt7 12-11-2010 12:11 AM

I had the same drone with my at30/30.. great muffler and great performance.
Best muffler ive used is the aero stealth 170. No drone, great performance, and it was quiet when cruising but nice rumble when you got on it.

GPSHSLAX 12-15-2010 05:31 PM

I can probably do it after christmas. My wife is getting a Kodak playsport hd camcorder. I can give her something to film.

Although, I could try out the video quality on this new phone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 916Timmy (Post 377724)
Nice write up! I am looking at the 3030xl for my 2010 hemi. I would love to see a video if you could pull it off! Youtube is very slim for new gen truks and 3030 mufflers! :)

916Timmy 12-15-2010 07:07 PM

Can't wait!!!

BigRig 02-21-2011 05:27 PM

Hey, I'm new to the forum but my 2011 with the 5.7 is in the shop getting the 3030 put on it right now, when I pick it up this evening I will see if I can put a video together for you guys.

GPSHSLAX 02-21-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRig (Post 450651)
Hey, I'm new to the forum but my 2011 with the 5.7 is in the shop getting the 3030 put on it right now, when I pick it up this evening I will see if I can put a video together for you guys.

Are you having the resonator(s) (Hemi may have two if I remember correctly)?

BigRig 02-22-2011 06:31 PM

ok, so i got my truck back and i love it, it sounds just right. There isn't too much drone in the cab except for when it goes down to 4 cylinders it kind of sounds like a jake brake but no biggy. Anyways, heres the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JIVkiA7jPE

It is just the 3030 muffler with the stock resonators, one on each tail pipe about 2 feet in from the tips. hope this is what you're after.