DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   What do you guys think? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64033)

Redlongbed 10-19-2010 12:58 PM

What do you guys think?

I have a 2002 5.9L Quad cab 4X4 longbox with 3.92 gears and the towing package. I tow my buddy's Jeep a few times a year to Rausch Creek Offroad park in PA and the Ram does fine. I would say its around 5500 pounds. I have seen tow ratings for this year from 8100 to 8350. Now I have bought a Jeep of my own, so my buddy and I have a problem; how to get two Jeeps to Rausch Creek with one gas truck. Does anyone know how much more my tow rating would increase with a fifth wheel setup? I'm guessing the total weight of trailer and both our Jeeps should be around 9000 pounds, give or take a few hundred pounds. I would have never even thought of trying to tow two Jeeps before with my truck, but the reason I am asking is because while driving home from picking my Jeep up in PA, I saw a 2000 Ford Expedition towing two large sedans on a trailer. Now if a Ford SUV can do this, on 83 which is pretty hilly, then I find it hard to believe that my truck wouldn't be able to, especially with a fifth wheel setup. I hope my truck can do this just for pride. ha-ha. Thanks in advance guys any help is appreciated! BTW I have a cold-air intake on the truck now and plan to get a superchips tuner and a new exhaust with shorty headers before attempting this tow.

wermbang 10-19-2010 01:10 PM

Expeditions I believe are close to what a 3/4 ton truck would be. I think if you want to tow both your gonna need a bigger truck.

hemiv8dodgeram1500 10-19-2010 02:19 PM

ya are your sure it wasn't a excursion because they can come with diesels

Redlongbed 10-19-2010 03:07 PM

Yeah I'm sure it wasn't an excursion cause that would of made sense, but definitely an Expedition with most likely the 5.4 triton engine.

RootBeer 10-19-2010 03:39 PM

You're a little over-weighted. But as rarely as you tow I don't think you would hurt your truck.

Get a trailer brake controller installed and get a trailer that has brakes on it. Going to a 5th wheel will help a bit by putting the load over the axle instead of behind it. Make sure you get one that has a shock absorber in built into it, otherwise you'll be hating life while towing.

MIceleb 10-19-2010 08:32 PM

These are two very important terms to live by. They can get you out of a lot of trouble if you are ever in an accident. If you are over weight and you get in a wreck and kill someone there will be consequences to pay. Trust me they will weigh your rig. Keep these two weight ratings in mind when deciding how much truck can tow.

GVWR – This stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This number is usually on a sticker on the driver’s side door frame. This is the maximum that the vehicle should ever weigh, including a full fuel load, passengers, added accessories, etc. In short while moving down the road (by itself), the vehicle should NEVER exceed this number.

GCVWR – This stands for Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle as seen in the GVWR, plus any towed vehicle. So, if you have a 11,000 pound GCVWR and your vehicle weighs 6,000 fully loaded and ready to take off down the road, the towed load must not exceed 5,000 for a total of 11,000 pounds. You may say “but my truck has a 7,000 pound tow rating. Well, too bad. The GVWR and GCVWR trump whatever the manufacturer states as the tow rating. And yes, sometimes these rating do not jive. When in doubt, always go with the GCVWR and GVWR.

Hope this helps!

Redlongbed 10-20-2010 03:29 PM

Thanks guys. I do not have the sticker on the inside door sill of my truck, nor do I have a owner's manual. So I guess I will have to do some searching for the GVWR and GCVWR, which never seems easy because the internet always returns so many different answers. If anyone knows these ratings I would love to know.