DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Diablo Predator Questions & Info! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Diablo and PCM (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64122)

squad2man 10-20-2010 07:45 AM

Diablo and PCM

After installing the economy tune or any tune for that matter, on a stock '08 ram 4x4 do i need to reset the pcm? Not sure wanted to ask first, didnt know if that would help it relearn better/faster with a diablo tune installed.

MADDOG 10-20-2010 09:26 AM

No, don't reset anything once you've loaded the tune. The PCM adaptives will relearn. Go out and drive it like you stole it.

squad2man 10-20-2010 04:17 PM

Ok good glad i asked. I have it set on eco. right now and im not seeing any eco, as a matter of fact, im seeing worse milage. No i dont have my foot all in it, so what gives? Thanks for the answer maddog

MADDOG 10-20-2010 06:04 PM

It's adjusting a bit and may not have totally learned the new program.

Your truck may not like the eco tune. Are you running the 87 octane tune? My '07 hates it. I get better mileage with the 91 octane tune, especially on road trips, where I will be around 14.5 to 14.8 mpg. Around town, not so much. But hey, I run mine hard. I'm lucky if I see 11 mpg around town. But heck, I like hearing the Magnaflows roar and the slippage of big 35's from time to time. I surely didn't buy this big lifted MegaCab with a HEMI for mileage!

With the 87 octane fuel and program, my truck was pinging and I felt it was down on power which means, knowing how these PCM programs work, the knock retard program detects the slightest bit of knock and pulls timing and fuel. It's very inefficient when that happens. My mileage, even on highway runs never got above 12.5 or so.

I'd run out the tank you have, try a higher octane (89 or 91?) and install the appropriate level tune based on the octane rating of the gas you buy.

Don't install a 91 tune and run anything less than 91 octane.

Once you have switched tunes (out with the 87, in with stock, out with stock, in with 91 tune or whatever you choose) and have the right octane, go run it and drive it hard for most of a 1/2 tank or more.

Then you can back off and check mileage based on how you normally drive.

Good luck!

Bighorn5.7 10-20-2010 06:45 PM

i have a predator on my 07 in the 87 economy mode and have not had any issues so far. I do have exhaust but no intake changes at this point. I do have the mds disabled and have been returning about 13.4 per gallon in town and 17 on the highway. I never got much better then that with the mds on except for back roads going 62 with no head wind. I have had the predator for about 2 months set this way.

squad2man 11-24-2010 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info guys, i will have to try and up the octane. It does seem a big slugish, especially now that i have installed a CAI. Ill try it and report.