DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   5.2 Jerking me to Death (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64234)

coonhound130 10-21-2010 09:46 PM

5.2 Jerking me to Death

I just bought a 2001 1500 with the 5.2 motor . It only has 87000 miles , well it started jerking real bad between 40 to 50 mph and doing some backfiring out the intake . I took it back to dealer and they replace the dist cap and rotor , PCV , said they cleaned and adjusted crank sensor and throttle pressure and hooked the air something accuator back up and is was fixed . Well I picked it up tonight and it still jerks , not as hard but through speeds 30 to 70 mph almost constant . Plus the mechanic drove my truck home ading over 500 miles on it since monday and all my gas (pissed about that) .
So what else could it be causeing this ? Thanks

coonhound130 10-21-2010 09:55 PM

Also what kinda spark plugs should I run in it and gap ?? Thanks

MaxPower1971 11-01-2010 09:41 PM

First off, WTF the mechanic was doing driving your truck off-duty??? F****N A****LE!! That would piss me off too!! And you can be sure they would fill her up real quick......

My .02 is that your cat is plugging, or o2 sensors going out (most likely pre-cat), but it would'nt be going away at higher speeds.
Did you get a CEL when it was running?? If so what fault code did you get? I don't know where you are, but some auto parts stores will lend you a code reader for free.

Other causes for this would be:
Bad injector
Failing coil
Failing Camshaft position sensor (pick up coil)

But considering it backfires out the TB, I would say it's not exhausting properly.

I run Champion plugs on my truck. Stay away from Accel and the likes. Dodges also don't appreciate aftermarket sensors much....
Can't remember the gap tho....

coonhound130 11-01-2010 10:03 PM

I never got a CEL light on this except when TPS went bad .
The problem is getting bad again and still getting no light .
I read somewhere that the MAP sensor could cause this with no CELlight .
WHat do you think ?
I will try cam sensor and coil and fixing to do plugs also just cause it prob needs them anyways .

Thanks

coonhound130 11-01-2010 10:06 PM

It has a pretty loud ticking noise coming from upper motor that kinda sounds like an injector or something , reckon that could be problem ?
Somedays it gets about 16mpg and some days you watch the gas hand move at about 4-5mpg .
No heat either

MaxPower1971 11-01-2010 10:22 PM

Map sensor will not have the CEL on at all times. But it will store a code in the PCM.

hmm...sounds like an injector is dumping gas. Does it run like it's flooding when it does it?? I know injectors can be tested, but I'll have to get in the shop and pull out my Hayne's for the proper procedure.

No heat? you mean in the cab?? When driving how's your temp gauge? Does it look like normal temp or a bit cool? Thermostat or temp sensor...or at worst plugged heater core. When it bogs down does it smell bad? (like rotten eggs) If so temp sensor could do that....

coonhound130 11-01-2010 10:33 PM

Haven't really noticed a smell or anything . When it starts the jerking it acts like a bad miss or something . Now if I drive with the OD off it doesn't do it for some reason , but when driving 100 miles a day at an average if 60mph I can't afford to keep it off .

Thanks again for the help

MaxPower1971 11-01-2010 11:15 PM

well that is weird....but it points out to the injectors being out of sync with the cam. You will definately need a scan tool for this one.
Are you sure they didn't replace the engine in that thing??? That usually happens then....

thirdmouse 11-02-2010 12:57 AM

Running like that under load can be ignition trouble. Downshifting out of OD, the engine runs faster and is not lugging so much, thus it goes away. How old are the plugs? Check their condition. If they're worn, replace them and the plug wires too. Gap is .035".

My truck ran like this too when I first got it a couple months ago. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and now it's as smooth as a top. I had never seen a cap and plugs as bad as these were. The cap was totally shot and the plugs were so worn that the gap was over .070". No wonder it was puking all over itself.

NateKrug89 02-27-2011 03:36 PM

I've got a '95 5.9 & had similar trouble. It endend up being PCM failure. The computer was making a cylinder misfire, and causing other problems, mostly related to emissions sensors.
It's a stretch, and I'm no mechanic, but you might want to look into it.
I got mine fixed by a friend for about $800, so you're probably looking at something over $1000-if it is indeed the PCM