DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mobil 1 Extended Performance (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64449)

RamTech 10-25-2010 02:37 PM

Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Today I decided to give Mobil 1 Extended Performance a try. It's a full synthetic that claims 15k miles between oil changes. I have no intention of going that long between changes but I am shooting for 10k miles. The cost was only $2.50 more than the regular 5W-30 full synthetic M1 that I usually run and if it works out, I'll save the cost of an oil change. I'll be checking the level and condition about once a month and if there are any signs of trouble or sludging I'll change it but I don't forsee any problems. I'll report my findings in this thread from time to time.

RootBeer 10-25-2010 02:59 PM

After my 1 year of free oil changes I'll probably switch to synthetic. Looking forward to your reports.

Just curious, how does synthetic hold up with vehicles that get driven about 40 miles a week? My truck sits for days at a time.

RamTech 10-25-2010 03:27 PM

I can't say for sure but I don't have reason to think dino oil would be any better for one that sits a lot.

Chubby Bruiser 10-25-2010 03:32 PM

Randy,

Had my oil changed Friday. Mobil 1 full synthetic and a NAPA Gold filter. Thanks for your advice. I can tell a big difference already in how my HEMI is running. And it is fun to watch the guys drool at my friends shop while they were doing the oil change, there were literally 6 guys looking at it and asking questions, one guy even dared me to race him is his 72 vette. I said sure what the heck even though I will probably lose, check it out, he backed down. He said his water pump was going out. I said then why did u dare me? He had no reply.

RamTech 10-25-2010 03:40 PM

Tell him to come find you when he gets the pump fixed. Race him and then have a tug-o-war after the race. You'll win at least one of them.

Chubby Bruiser 10-25-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamTech (Post 342903)
Tell him to come find you when he gets the pump fixed. Race him and then have a tug-o-war after the race. You'll win at least one of them.

Oh yeah, you know that's right!! :LOL:

RamTech 10-26-2010 08:52 AM

Those Corvettes just don't seem to pull very well. Maybe that's why they don't offer a towing package.

tomcatg 10-26-2010 10:04 AM

I have used Mobil 1 Synthetic in my '98 Ram 318 since it was new, as well as the diffs and trans, grease everything.

After 12 years and 170k miles I can say that it was a wise investment. :smileup:

RamTech 10-26-2010 10:42 AM

Mine has had the regular M1 synthetic in it for over 3 years now with good results. I figure I'll give this stuff a shot and see if I can save some money.

Bodydoc2002 01-25-2011 10:20 AM

Hey Randy...Are you going to change filters every 5K still? I run M1 with M1 Filter and change every 5K...With the Tech thats out there today I can see a synthetic lasting 15K but is the filter up for that?