DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   98 ram 5.9 needs help (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64527)

ricksbuells 10-26-2010 11:56 AM

98 ram 5.9 needs help

Hello- I have a 98 Ram 360 stock - I need some direction on performance mods. I've had 4 trucks and never took the time to enhance their performance .My 95 had 3 transmissions and over 4hundred thousand miles on it before it collapsed. #2 was totalled out 45 min.after it was purchased. #3 had a 318 that couldn't get out of it's own way. and now#4 is in need of your help. - Like where to get trans shift kit ?
Engine mods ? how to make the trans last longer than the others did?
I don't drive them hard, just fast when the time arrives. Sorry for the long post ,but any and all info is greatly appreciated.

RamTech 10-26-2010 12:04 PM

Engine mods depend on your wallet and goals. TransGo makes excellent shift kits.

Race1Mopar 10-26-2010 01:23 PM

The 360 likes back pressure to keep low end torque, which is what's needed to move the heavy truck. If you do an exhaust a cat back would do you fine, even high flow cats if you want to go that far but if you open up the y-pipe from the headers to the cats then you will lose back pressure and low end torque.

Gears would help you plant the power better and give you better mileage in town and less on the freeway if you drive really fast. The bigger the tires you have over stock, the more this is a necessity, especially to keep from lugging the engine which robs power and hurts mileage.

The tranny is the weak link in these trucks. You can greatly improve longevity by making sure you have, or adding a trans cooler. Heat is the enemy to a tranny.

Okiespaniels 10-26-2010 09:21 PM

I guess it depends on how quick and how fast you want to go.
A good shift kit and tranny cooler along with a deep pan and guage to monitor your temp will help.
A good tuner will enhance your performance. Cat backs and air intakes help, even 1.7 rockers and headers. But a tuner that can take advantage of these mods as you install them is the best place to start.
Gears...don't know any specifics on your truck, but gears are a great torque enhancing mod.

ricksbuells 11-01-2010 10:55 PM

Thanks -guys , I never done any mods to my first couple of Dodge trucks ,but this one is going to be outrgeous. I will post pics of it as I am going. I have a disassembled 440 needing put back together with a 727 torqueflight tranny -but would really like to find a manual tranny for it.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 11-01-2010 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a Transgo kit installed in my last rebuild . I like it . My rebuilder told me to remove the check valve thats in the trans cooler line by the lower radiator hose . Said it causes more problems than what it's worth . Heres a picture of it . I removed the plunger and spring from inside of the bell .

cannotdodgethedart 11-01-2010 11:06 PM

Intake, exhaust, and programmer to start with

cannotdodgethedart 11-01-2010 11:07 PM

Then maybe headers, and cam if you get more serious, and if you go that route your going to have to get a custom tune and get your truck dynoed

ricksbuells 12-05-2011 09:48 PM

Thanks to all who answered my post,My 98 ram was stolen and stripped. I now have a 2002 ram 1500 supercharged 4.7 /with a 5 speed manual tranny 4x4 and it's solid black. It's alot more power than i thought it would be.