DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Front drive shaft "squeaking" (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64654)

05QCHemi 10-27-2010 09:29 PM

Front drive shaft "squeaking"

I noticed it a few days ago. It is speed sensitive and doesn't matter if low or high speed. Sounds like bad bushings ( squeaky rubber ). It's coming from the middle of the truck and when I jacked up the driver's front side to check the U- Joint, I found no play in any direction. However when rotation the drivers wheel the squeak occurs. If I put my hand on the drive shaft I can feel the vibration with the sound. I dunno what the parts of the drive linkage are called , but it is 4x4. I know there's the transfer case, than an extension with a boot and two rings holding the boot onto the drive shaft, I think the noise is coming from that part but no idea what it is called or how to fix remove it... Any help? Or am I totally wrong and it is a bad driveshaft U joint?

Thanks guys

RootBeer 10-27-2010 10:10 PM

Whatever you end up doing, you're going to have to pull off the drive shaft. You don't say how many miles are on the truck, but you might consider replacing the U-joints while you're at it.

As for the name of the part you're talking about, its on the tip of my tongue but won't come out my fingers. :LOL:

Go see your handy parts guy either at a parts store or Dodge dealer and they can bring up a complete diagram and you can point out what you feel the guilty party is.

Any leaks either on the differential or transfer case?

05QCHemi 10-27-2010 10:26 PM

my bad - 141KM. little oil on transfer case. i am very sure u joints are original from all the rust. lovely.

brad12kx 10-27-2010 10:51 PM

Are you referring to the slip joint? If so, I'm skeptical that there is an issue there, other than maybe needing a little lube, but it sure sounds like a U-joint problem by your description. If they are original, you have gotten very good service out of them. :smileup:

05QCHemi 10-29-2010 07:32 PM

They are original - and I've been hard on it the last 80K... so lucky me! Guess I'll be into NAPA this weekend! I'll let you know - PS how do you lube the slip joint?

Saugie53 03-10-2013 03:14 PM

Hey, I know this is an old post but I was just wondering if you had any luck with the noise stopping when you replaced your U-Joints? I am having this same problem and am hinting towards the U-Joints because that seems to be where the noice is coming from and like you said I too can feel the vibration with the noise when i touch the driveshaft while turning it.